TIP: Shift-right-click


S

Stan Brown

I knew, but had forgotten, that if you SHIFT-right-click, you get
more options than if you simply right-click.

One option that I particularly like is, SHIFT-right-click on a folder
and you get "Open command prompt here".
 
Ad

Advertisements

J

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Stan Brown said:
I knew, but had forgotten, that if you SHIFT-right-click, you get
more options than if you simply right-click.

One option that I particularly like is, SHIFT-right-click on a folder
and you get "Open command prompt here".
Oh good, they've put that into the OS. In XP, you can get that by
installing at least two options of third party extras (I think one of
the powertools, possibly TweakUI, adds it).
 
G

Gene E. Bloch

Oh good, they've put that into the OS. In XP, you can get that by installing
at least two options of third party extras (I think one of the powertools,
possibly TweakUI, adds it).
Yes, that's why in an earlier thread I said I wasn't sure whether it
was an add-on or built-in. I remembered both & couldn't sort it out.

I have to say that putting some useful things in hidden places isn't my
idea of user friendly.

OTOH:
1. Menus could be huge without the requirement of using the Shift. This
sounds like a rationalization :)

2. Naive users or users who aren't interested in geekdom might be
happier without such arcane options. But again, I probably should say
"This sounds like a rationalization"...

Just idle chatter.
 
S

SC Tom

Stan Brown said:
I knew, but had forgotten, that if you SHIFT-right-click, you get
more options than if you simply right-click.

One option that I particularly like is, SHIFT-right-click on a folder
and you get "Open command prompt here".
I don't know if it's something I did shortly after upgrading to Win7, but as far back as I remember, I've had "Command
prompt here" on a simple right-click (no 'Shift' necessary). I remember renaming it in the registry to "CMD here", but I
honestly don't remember doing a tweak to add it to the right-click menu.
 
J

James Silverton

I don't know if it's something I did shortly after upgrading to Win7,
but as far back as I remember, I've had "Command prompt here" on a
simple right-click (no 'Shift' necessary). I remember renaming it in the
registry to "CMD here", but I honestly don't remember doing a tweak to
add it to the right-click menu.
That's not a bad way to open the command prompt in the right place but,
as far as I can tell, SHFT-RTCLICK gives a menu that includes "Open
Command Here'. I have a desktop icon for "Command Prompt" in general use.
 
S

SC Tom

James Silverton said:
That's not a bad way to open the command prompt in the right place but, as far as I can tell, SHFT-RTCLICK gives a
menu that includes "Open Command Here'. I have a desktop icon for "Command Prompt" in general use.
Well, after checking it out, it must have been a tweak that I did. On a RT-CLK, I have my renamed "CMD here" and on a
SHFT-RT-CLK, I have both "CMD here" and "Open command window here." They both do the same thing; I just don't need the
keyboard.
 
Ad

Advertisements

K

KCB

Gene E. Bloch said:
Yes, that's why in an earlier thread I said I wasn't sure whether it was
an add-on or built-in. I remembered both & couldn't sort it out.

I have to say that putting some useful things in hidden places isn't my
idea of user friendly.

OTOH:
1. Menus could be huge without the requirement of using the Shift. This
sounds like a rationalization :)

2. Naive users or users who aren't interested in geekdom might be happier
without such arcane options. But again, I probably should say "This sounds
like a rationalization"...

Just idle chatter.
But then again, naïve users (for the most part), don't even know to
right-click anything, let alone shift-right click. I know a few casual
users who were utterly amazed to see a context menu pop up when I
right-clicked on things, and then couldn't duplicate what I had just done.
 
J

J. P. Gilliver (John)

In message <[email protected]>, KCB <[email protected]>
writes:
[]
But then again, naïve users (for the most part), don't even know to
right-click anything, let alone shift-right click. I know a few casual
users who were utterly amazed to see a context menu pop up when I
right-clicked on things, and then couldn't duplicate what I had just
done.
Did you enlighten them, or just keep it as one of your "magic" tricks?
 
G

Gene E. Bloch

But then again, naïve users (for the most part), don't even know to
right-click anything, let alone shift-right click. I know a few casual users
who were utterly amazed to see a context menu pop up when I right-clicked on
things, and then couldn't duplicate what I had just done.
We're back (OK, I'm back) to the idea that computers are just too
complicated.

And cell phones, Audio/Video receivers, whatever.

I'm a geek with years of related experience, and I don't come close to
even knowing what features exist. I don't even try some of the ones I'm
aware of, and I can't always figure out the ones I do try.

I've had similar experiences to yours with non-techies, often quite
intelligent ones, trying to use computers, and I wish I (or someone at
MIcrosoft, Apple, Android?) could figure out how to make them
approachable for such people.

Luckily, for my own use, I'm easy to please with what I manage to do
:)
 
M

Miles

* Stan Brown wrote, On 09-Mar-12 10:51:
I knew, but had forgotten, that if you SHIFT-right-click, you get
more options than if you simply right-click.

One option that I particularly like is, SHIFT-right-click on a folder
and you get "Open command prompt here".
Command prompt is native here on right click without shift with Win7
Pro 64 bit.
Miles
 
S

SC Tom

Miles said:
* Stan Brown wrote, On 09-Mar-12 10:51:

Command prompt is native here on right click without shift with Win7
Pro 64 bit.
Miles
If you do a shift-right-click, do you get two "Open command window here"?
 
Ad

Advertisements

K

KCB

J. P. Gilliver (John) said:
In message <[email protected]>, KCB <[email protected]>
writes:
[]
But then again, naïve users (for the most part), don't even know to
right-click anything, let alone shift-right click. I know a few casual
users who were utterly amazed to see a context menu pop up when I
right-clicked on things, and then couldn't duplicate what I had just done.
Did you enlighten them, or just keep it as one of your "magic" tricks?
I always try to explain things, as best I am able. Sometimes this works,
other times not so much. Some users just don't care how things work.
 
K

KCB

SC Tom said:
If you do a shift-right-click, do you get two "Open command window here"?
I also get "Open command window here" without using the Shift key, but I
don't get two of them when using the Shift key.
 
M

Miles

* SC Tom wrote, On 11-Mar-12 10:48:
If you do a shift-right-click, do you get two "Open command window here"?
No, simply one entry reading "command prompt". Of interest is that
if a folder is highlighted (such as in program files as an immediate
example) and I hit the shift key, the focus moves to the last item
listed in WinExpl which is recycle bin.
Miles
 
S

SC Tom

Miles said:
* SC Tom wrote, On 11-Mar-12 10:48:

No, simply one entry reading "command prompt". Of interest is that if a folder is highlighted (such as in program
files as an immediate example) and I hit the shift key, the focus moves to the last item listed in WinExpl which is
recycle bin.
Miles
Mine doesn't move focus, but when using Shift-Right-Click, I get two entries; one at the top and the other near the
bottom of the menu (Win7 32-bit).
You can read my other earlier replies for a bit of history on this, if you want.
 
Ad

Advertisements

G

Gene E. Bloch

* Stan Brown wrote, On 09-Mar-12 10:51:
Command prompt is native here on right click without shift with Win7 Pro 64
bit.
Miles
Command prompt requires a Shift-Right-Click on this Windows 7 Pro 64
bit.

Interesting...
 
G

Gene E. Bloch

Command prompt requires a Shift-Right-Click on this Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.
Interesting...
I'm now wondering if the difference might be something provided by the
computer's OEM.

In this case, I am the OEM. Perhaps those who report the shiftless
version got their computers from a company like HP or Dell. Does anyone
know about that?
 
Ad

Advertisements

K

KCB

Gene E. Bloch said:
I'm now wondering if the difference might be something provided by the
computer's OEM.

In this case, I am the OEM. Perhaps those who report the shiftless version
got their computers from a company like HP or Dell. Does anyone know about
that?
Mine is a 'shiftless' homebuilt, but my Win7 Pro 64 is OEM.
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top