Time to fix a mailbox!!

Reaction score
Mailbox was hit today. :(

The driver didn't stick around. It's funny, even though they hit and ran. I feel sorry for them, who ever they were. The mailbox poll is a 4 inch pipe that was not damaged, even though they knock it down and drove completely over it. Signs of damage in the neighbors yards, next door and across the road before they come to a stop. The mailbox was solid too, it would bring a vehicle moving 15 mile an hour to a dead stop. I know because the poll has been hit a couple of times without any damage.

Guess what I will be doing within the next few days. Time to bust concrete off the pipe and place it back in the ground. I wish I knew who it was simply to know how much damage was done to the car. Saturday night, I'm suspecting they were drinking but will never know for sure.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Saturday night, I'm suspecting they were drinking but will never know for sure.
That would be my first thought! It used to happen around the neighborhood where I lived in a small town outside Tulsa, OK.

One neighbor got so tired of repairing his mailbox post/stand that he put in a 2' x 2' x 18" deep concrete footer, then built a built a brick mailbox enclosure with rebar running down the center holes of the bricks at every second hole. He built it to USPS standards so the mailman wouldn't have issues. He did all the work himself since he was brick mason anyway and got most of the material free.

About a year later someone ran into it at night, only this time they couldn't drive off because the front-end was completely smashed in, the driver's insurance company had to pay for an entire new setup on the brick mailbox column. It was funny as hell cause the driver said that those type of mailbox stands should be illegal!!

Reaction score
I just fixed a temporary post to hold the box. I didn't even want to mess with it. A church I started attending has been striping out everything in the main part of the building for new carpet, paint, and light fixtures. Within the last two days we have replaced all the lights and pulled out the carpet which was glued in. I am so sore from climbing ladders and pulling carpet. At least the worst is finished now. The rest of the work at the church will be easy. I will worry about the mailbox repairs after the church repairs are completed. :)

I still wished I knew how much damage was done to the car. The poll was concreted over three foot in the ground and was still pushed over.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Any form of Drinking / Driving is bad news the world over but one thing to be thankful about in this concern C_C is (better a mail box then a person knocked over) ... hope its not to bigger job to fix mate, and lets hope the cops stopped them.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hope the new mailbox doesn't take too long to sort out - it must be a real pain having to fix something like that, after one idiot drives in to it!

I still wished I knew how much damage was done to the car. The poll was concreted over three foot in the ground and was still pushed over.
That would have made quite a "scratch" on any car!!!

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Mailbox was hit today. :(
This is such an unexpected sentence that every time I read it, I imagine a car pulling up slowly, and a guy stepping out of the passenger side, walking towards a mailbox and firing a few rounds at it, point blank.

Poor mailbox. We hardly knew ye. You'll be holding mail in heaven now...

Reaction score
An unfortunate occurrence -- I hope you can get everything taken care of.

Now the question remains -- did your mailbox have any enemies? ;)

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
For some reason I read...Mailbox was hit on today....I guess my mind works in mysterious ways and I like giggiling at the mental picure of a drunk letter carrier approaching your mailbox :D

Ask a Question