Thinkpad R51

Reaction score
So i have a Thinkpad R51 version 2888 laptop with an Intel video adapter. I have found the correct drivers for the laptop, but whenever i install the drivers, i get this error:
This device is working properly.

The drivers for this device will be uninstalled when the machine is restarted. Any changes you make to this device will not be preserved.

You need to restart your computer before the changes you made to this device will take effect.
It's fairly contradictory to be honest, lol. I don't know what to do, everytime i install it, it installs perfectly fine in Device Manager, but when i restart the machine, the drivers are literally deleted from the system and i must run the setup exe file to get them back. Any idea's or fixes for this?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the site :)

Lots of people have had problems installing custom drivers for the Intel 855GME graphics chipset. Do the default Windows 7 ones not work well?

Apparently you can get it working by using the following driver and steps outlined below:

http://justendeal.com/driver/855gm_vista_driver.zip

A. Turn off Digital Driver Signing Check

1. Create a shortcut on the desktop to cmd.exe (In the location box type cmd /k)
2. Right-click on the shortcut and select Run as administrator
3.When the command window opens, type the following and press ENTER after each:
bcdedit /set nointegritychecks ON
bcdedit /set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
4. Reboot in safe mode (press F8 repeatedly during the BIOS screen).

B. Installing the XDDM Vista Driver posted by Kensiko

1. With computer in safe mode, open the Device Manager
(Start > Computer > System Properties > Device Manager)
2. Initiate driver update for Standard VGA Graphics Adaptor
(Properties > Driver Tab > Update Driver > Update driver -> Browse -> Let me pick -> Display adapters -> Have disk -> give path to "855gm_vista_driver " folder of the extracted driver)
3. Navigate to the folder where the driver is stored then complete the installation.
4. In the Device Manager, initiate a new hardware scan (Action > Scan for Hardware Changes).
5. Reboot. If successful, create a restore point!

Note: Chances are that the above steps did not work first time. Try a few variations & be persistent:
· Re-boot in "Disable driver signing enforcement" mode (a variation of Safe Mode).
· Install the driver against the Video Controller showing an error.
· Try installing the XP driver instead (I ended up doing this only to end up with no Display Driver installed which seemed to help with then installing the Vista driver).

Reaction score
Thanks, it is finally holding onto the video driver now and not uninstalling it after every restart, but now i am getting the all too descriptive
Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)
error with the yellow exclamation point. Trying to troubleshoot it and see if i can get it working, any ideas?

Reaction score
I have tried to drivers from the IBM site and the Lenovo site and i got the error from the first post on the ones from the IBM site, the ones from the Lenovo site didn't work. (This is a pre-Lenovo Thinkpad)

Reaction score
Ok, new update, the 855 drivers that Ian recommended worked great on the first bootup, but now it's blue-screening my machine on boot, so i had to uninstall them in safe mode...

Ask a Question