The end of the net as we know it

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Even scarier when there are only 2 isp's who service your area, if they both decide to unfairly limit certain websites then where do you go?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I'll tell you, these ISP's are getting bolder all of the time. Especially where there's little competition. Fortunately, I do have about four choices.

But to begin to separate their customer into "tiers", as I understand it, is pure bulls**t. This is sort of the way that cable TV works, the preferred tier customers (who pays more) gets more. Now with TV, I can see it, but not the internet service.

I've read the article, and hope that I correctly understood it. Europe tends to be ahead of the US & Canada in some things, but if it takes place there, it'll come here too. I just hope that it's no time soon.

Cat

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
In some ways, that's bad, but for the most part the net is better than ever. Faster, much higher speeds (remember the 802.11 "B" cards?), and several browsers from which to choose.

There are also some bad, the lack of competition in some areas, forcing users to pay higher prices, capping your usage & speeds if you go over your bandwith (certain plans). And of course the virus & malware issues that's a continual threat to our safety.

While in some areas, you cannot do much, as your choices (of ISP's) may be limited, there is one area that we are in control of, that's our security posture. With as many free & paid solutions on the market, there's absolutely no excuse for any user not to have a AV/IS suite.

There is another area that I'm glad it's not what it used to be, and that's having to know how to use the command line. While having that knowledge gives you more total control over your computer, it's a PITA to learn, especially for those of us who never owned a computer prior to the release of Win 2K. It was a necessity at one time with Windows, not no more (most of the time).

I'm glad that it's not what it used to be.

Cat

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
It's all part of the New World Order... if you like what's going on with the WWW wait and see what happens in the coming months with the US Dollar and it's economy!

I am serious about this too!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I have no doubts about that, in regard to our economy. And it will be sooner rather than later, no doubt.

There's way too big of a hole dug as to the debt our country is in, one that even our unborn grandchildren will never be able to pay back. The US government has policed the entire globe at our expense, yet cannot even police our streets properly, shipped out good paying jobs for minimum wage ones (and not enough of those to spread around), bailed out corporations (one twice) that should have fallen (this is why we have bankruptcy laws on the books, for a "fresh start", I know this firsthand).

The net is not really a big deal to me, I like it, as it allows me to kill time while I'm sitting around with nothing to do. It, along with other technology, has improved over the years, and will probably continue to do so. But it's a luxury to me, not a necessity, if I really needed to, I could live without it. I didn't even own my very own computer until 2000, at the age of 37.

It's going to soon be the end of the world as we know it, that concerns me deeply. Our earnings, many of us have had no raise for years (those of us fortunate to have an income), while gas, food and auto/health insurance, medical costs (the basics) have skyrocketed during the same timespan.

It cannot and will not sustain at this rate, this country (and others) are headed for bankruptcy, and soon. It's going to be bad for everyone, there will be no avoiding it.

Plus, the NWO is a reality. Who knows what path that will lead us down?

We're in this one for the long haul.

Cat

Last edited:

Ask a Question