SOLVED BEWARE: Rogue Antivirus 2010 is no friend of Internet Explorer 9 !

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
From The Windows Club 9-18-2010

If you are one of the many users who jumped on the chance to download the latest beta version of Internet Explorer 9, beware. While the new IE9 is simply awesome, its still beta and there are bound to be problems, as is the case with almost any software that comes out in beta. The latest variant of the rogue Antivirus 2010 (Alureon.h) is by no means a friend of IE9!

As a user who has fallen prey to this new rogue / virus, I recommend anyone currently using or planning to download the latest IE9 beta, to backup all of their important data on their computer.
The new variant of the Antivirus 2010 labeled Alureon.h, though recognized by current security software like Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes, can remove the virus, but the after effects of the removal will disable users from using IE9.

Problems that can arise if effected:

Screenshot is from my infected computer

• The virus installs as a Windows Service.
  • Your Antivirus may or may not even notice as the virus is downloaded and installed until a scan is run. This also goes true for applications such as Malwarebytes.​
  • Current page freezes​
  • When clicking to open a new tab, the page opens with a blank page or the tab freezes upon being clicked.
  • Cannot close Internet Explorer without forcibly shutting it down.​
  • Upon opening Internet Explorer 9, page loads with blank page and then either freezes or after a few seconds, closes.​
  • Repeated attempts at removing the virus show that virus is removed but upon restarting the computer the virus is reinstalled.
For more of this article and reading go HERE

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
So "anti-virus 2010" is actually a malware virus, disguised as a free anti-virus program but really hijacks your computer and holds it for ransom until you pay AND it trashes ie9. How pleasant ... NOT!

Here is a guide for removal but Nibs post says malwarebytes doesn't work so this may not work on the latest version.

Reaction score
Why is it so difficult to track down the authors of such programs and dismember them. No I'm not kidding either.

Do we not have an organization trying to stop this crap. Why must we download software that will ignore any attempt to install or remove if it does install. Where is the organization that will track down and stop these things at the source.

I still say that Anti-Malware makers are more content in living with the threats than they are motivated in stopping them. After all where is their money coming from.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
There would be a lot of people typing with a stump. I can't verify the accuracy of this data, it was just somebodies wiki answer but it sounds plausible. This is 2 years ago and virus growth has been increasing exponentially.

"Nobody keeps tracks of "new" computer viruses, as almost all are offshoots of existing ones. However, according to a Symantec (anti-virus manufacturer) report found on the CERT (USA Government office; Department of Homeland Security) website (refer to the link, below), "nearly 7,000 new worms and viruses . . . in the first half of 2006; this is the highest number ever recorded for a 6-month period." Given that figure, one may derive that over 1,166 worms and viruses are created per month. As an aside, according to the Computerworld link, below, the total number of viruses created as of the end of 2008 reached the one million mark, with over 25% of them having been created in the latter half of 2008, alone. Given that the numbers have been tracked since 1988, that would average to over 4,166 viruses per month"

So it would be a full-time job for a lot of people ... tracking people down and cutting off their limbs. I doubt PETA would like it either. And the cost of airfare would be astronomical because the internet is global and many of these viruses (are presumed by experts to) come from Russia, China, the Middle East.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I have to agree with C_C, there's no incentive for the anti-virus industry (except MSE, founded and ran by Microsoft) to eradicate viruses, malware, spyware, fake AV's & so on. It's a multi billion dollar per year industry.

Sure, there's many "free" ones on the market, some good, some not so good, but the fact is this: They will only "give" you so much protection, if you want the best, you must pay for it.

Thank goodness for MSE, they are the single one that I can see that would love to eradicate the problems. Most of the others, virus protection is their money maker, and unfortunately, the more bad code written, the more richer they become. They love it.

Fortunately for us, our health care system doesn't work with this kind of mentality. They aggressively fight various illnesses and diseases on a daily basis, not always for free, but do fight to eradicate as many diseases as much as possible. Most doctors have ethics.

The AV / Malware /spyware industry doesn't have such ethics. They only look to contain, rather than eradicate them. And the ones that write bad code are difficult, if not impossible to catch. Sure the CIA or whoever will catch someone once in a while, blowing it up to look big, like we're supposed to feel safer on the net. It would be foolish to think for a second that we're anymore safer, than we were yesterday. One may get caught, but what about the tens of thousands that doesn't? The same way with the "drug war". If illegal drugs were eradicated, hundreds of thousands of jobs would be lost. Don't be fooled by advertising that suggests otherwise.

Viruses and malware are here to stay. All that we can do, is do our best to stay safe as we can, by keeping our AV / Malware protection updated, and scan on a regular basis, and anytime that your computer starts to act weird. And don't depend 100% on a single product for everything. I use & recommend MSE, but that's each user's decision. Regardless of your choice, a stand alone scanner such as Malwarebytes can help keep you safe, and let you know if your choice of AV is doing it's job or not. At no cost to you.

Cat

Reaction score
It is amazing (in a bad way) how much crap is in the wild now. At work when Win95 was still new we had a social club computer to play with in our downtime. It was connected to the internet and as in those days we did not have women in our proffession you need only imagine the sorts of sites we used to visit.
That the computer lasted well over 12 months with NO AV software installed shows how much different things were then to now.

Reaction score
So it would be a full-time job for a lot of people ... tracking people down and cutting off their limbs. I doubt PETA would like it either. And the cost of airfare would be astronomical because the internet is global and many of these viruses (are presumed by experts to) come from Russia, China, the Middle East.
First thing PETA can kiss my A$$. People that create viruses, give away their right to be treated as an animal.

My question is how much is being spent towards protection each year and wonder why this would not be enough to cover the expense of such an operation. I'm pretty sure that the cost of finding the main players could be paid by the expense one major city pays in protection alone. I would rather my money went toward virus eradication from the internet not virus blocking or removal

Personally I don't need a global internet connection. I would be perfectly happy with a statewide connection, if that would stop the majority of viruses. However if that happened, I would lose connection to this forum. I wouldn't like that but would live with it if that is what it took to make my browsing safer.

The bottom line is I don't see any development in prevention or a better term eradication of viruses. Makes me feel as if I am in a home infested with roaches every time I go online and there is nothing I can do about it. And Terminex is still a thought for the future.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Personally I don't need a global internet connection. I would be perfectly happy with a statewide connection, if that would stop the majority of viruses. However if that happened, I would lose connection to this forum. I wouldn't like that but would live with it if that is what it took to make my browsing safer.
Now you are just scaring me - there was mention of providing a method for the President of the United States to be able to hit a button and disconnect all internet connections outside of this country. Because of the way the network was created I think this would be a heck of a feat but if they forced all traffic through a few points it might be possible. Would make a heck of a mess and probably slow things down and cause bandwidth issues squeezing through those few points.

Even so, it won't stop viruses. They would come from a flash drive or laptop flying into this country and you would still have the ones created locally.

I believe you are being overly concerned. I put it on the same level of denying basic principles this country was founded on because of another possible 9-11. You would have a better chance praying daily and updating your anti-virus regularly than you would of stopping all the bad out there. If you want the world to be a better place then share knowledge rather than bottle it up. Enlighten rather than enslave. The Bible says we are all brothers and sisters and to treat your brother as you would be yourself. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you ... all that sort of positive energy. If your brother sends you a virus then turn the other cheek ... that's right MOON 'em (OK , that's not what it means "butt" kill'em with kindness not chop their limbs off).

Reaction score
I believe you are being overly concerned.
Female virus-writer, Gigabyte, arrested in Belgium, Sophos comments
Kim Vanvaeck, suspected of being the virus writer usually known only by the nickname "Gigabyte", has reportedly been charged with computer data sabotage and if convicted, faces up to three years in prison and fines of up to €100,000.
Computer virus inventor arrested
The Kyoto prefectural police arrested Winny inventor Isamu Kaneko, a former research associate of Tokyo University, on suspicion of violating the Copyright Law in May 2004. Kaneko, 37, appealed to a high court after he was ordered to pay a fine of 1.5 million yen by the Kyoto District Court.

There is no legislation in the country that regulates the creation of computer viruses.
I know these are old but have things really changed in the last few years? Come on fining them and then letting them go so they can pay with the money they made from the very thing that landed them in lockup. WOW the very thought would be incentive to anyone who has the knowledge to create a virus.

Japanese virus writer arrested.. again
Back in 2008, Nakatsuji became the first virus writer ever arrested in Japan after distributing the Pirlames Trojan (dubbed "Harada" in the local press) via Winny that displayed images of popular anime characters while wiping music and movie files.

As a result of that earlier incident, Nakatsuji was sentenced to two years in prison, suspended for three years. If found guilty of this latest attack it is unlikely that the court will look favourably on a repeat offender.
Only two years and then he will be creating more viruses. Is this really the way to protect people?

Personally I think they should serve a week for every computer that Anti-malware reports about removing the virus. Let the severity of the virus dictate the severity of the sentence.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well to bring this thread back on topic ... I wonder if any of those three people you mentioned created Anti-virus 2010; you know it's possible!

And I don't mean to say viruses don't exist but if there are over 4000 created per month, then locking up 3 people even for life will have no noticeable impact. So I am not saying you shouldn't be careful; I am simply saying we need to live our lives, and I don't plan to live mine in fear of what may happen tomorrow by cowering in a corner today. I will look for the beauty in today and trust God's hands with tomorrow.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
It's really a shame that some jerk comes along and messes up things for all of us. We just got this new version of IE to use & enjoy, and someone comes along and tries to screw it up for everyone, by sending whatever bad code they can, and infecting our computers.

Not wanting to take the chance of my computer being infected, I removed IE9 beta from my desktop, and installed it on my notebook only. Not having used IE since mid last year, I wanted to see what the "Beauty of the Web" was all about. And what I saw actually impressed me, much more so than the latest beta of Firefox has. As a beta, any browser is going to have some security holes, but that's no excuse for writing & distributing bad code to exploit them.

I'll continue to try to relearn IE on my notebook, the pages look so good, much better than previous versions has. The security will improve, it is just so unfortunate that more is not being done to catch & punish these bad guys. If it were regarded as a terrorist act, which in a since it is, the FBI, CIA & Dept of Homeland Security would have tens of thousands of these dirtbags in custody, and we would have a safer internet to enjoy.

Now, does everyone understand why I'm such a security freak? It's these kind of acts that has pushed me to the point of near daily scanning with at least one security product. These kind of things are not to be taken lightly, but seriously.

Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Now, does everyone understand why I'm such a security freak? It's these kind of acts that has pushed me to the point of near daily scanning with at least one security product. These kind of things are not to be taken lightly, but seriously.
There is serious and there is obsessive compulsive.

Rule #1 - Don't sweat the small stuff
Rule #2 - It's all small stuff

You have what 3 or 4 OSs running on your computer? If one dies a horrible death at the hands of a virus you still have 2 or 3 others.

Also if you read it, malwarebytes will remove it, it simply trashes IE9 as it is removed. Now you have deleted IE9 for fear that at some point in the future malwarebytes will have to remove it for you. I'm sorry but that logic escapes me ... tis better to have browsed and lost than to have never browsed at all.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
No, the reason was because I tried another browser recently, as many remembers, Safari. And what did I get for it? A similar fake anti virus that even MSE & Malwarebytes together couldn't handle. The more I fought it, the tougher it got.

I even booted into the OS beside of it, XP Media Center, ran MSE, it went to cleaning, Malwarebytes done the same. Finally, I was able to reboot into Windows 7. All to no avail. As soon as I booted into the OS, there appeared a box, looking just like the Windows one, asking to hit "enter" to apply an update. As soon as I did, the monster attack started over again. The only hope was a reinstall.

And while I have several OS's, it took work to build them. I don't want them screwed up, at least the ones on my desktop. On the notebook, it doesn't matter as much. It's old, and just a test machine now.

But, that still doesn't make it right for virus writers to hit & run. Purely cowards, is all that I can say of them.

Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I don't have MSE, so tell me, does it install into your browser like Norton does?

Every webpage I download is scanned for malicious scripts and this works in IE8-32, IE9-32 and in Firefox-32. Where it will not work is IE8or9-64 because Norton is not 64-bit so it can't go there. Your anti-virus did not support Safari and that is why you were vulnerable. But if MSE installs into any browser at all, it would be another Microsoft product like IE8 or 9.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I honestly don't know how MSE does it's job, but most of the time, it does. What I was depending on, and won't again, was Safari's "Safe Search" feature. I'm not sure whose product that is, but Safari is an Apple product, as is Bonjour.

I recently bought a printer, and during the online install, Bonjour was installed, even though it knew I had Windows 7. I hope that's not a security threat to me. But the main thing is, why is Bonjour required on a Windows computer?

Cat

Reaction score
While there are some very decent antimalware products out there, the first and foremost antimalware is the user. Simply put, don't go surfing onto rogue websites of the kind that you know have malware on them before you even start.

If you choose to continue to do so, you can't then turn around and say this or that anitvirus didn't help out.

In all honesty, I could use a pc for 10 years and never get any malware on it, without even an antivirus installed. The only reason I have one is because it's there in my ZoneAlarm Extreme, so I activate it. Other than that, I really wouldn't even have one. I can't remember the last time something was quarantined.

Reaction score
I honestly don't know how MSE does it's job, but most of the time, it does. What I was depending on, and won't again, was Safari's "Safe Search" feature. I'm not sure whose product that is, but Safari is an Apple product, as is Bonjour.

I recently bought a printer, and during the online install, Bonjour was installed, even though it knew I had Windows 7. I hope that's not a security threat to me. But the main thing is, why is Bonjour required on a Windows computer?

Cat
Because Mac users would not be able to connect to the printer if it were shared without it. Bonjour is harmless.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Bump - I see this thread has gotten off-topic. LOL! So what else is new?

I'll stick with Firefox and Opera as my two favorite browsers.

Ask a Question