SOLVED The diagnostics policy service is not running

Reaction score
Whenever I try troubleshooting internet connection problems (which I often do) I run into the same message time and time again without fail; "The diagnostics policy service is not running" I attempted to go into services.msc and fix the problem, when I attempted to start the service manually I got the following message; "The Diagnostic Policy Service service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs."

Please don't tell me to reformat my computer, because that's my last resort, I don't have any restore points from before the problem occurred, and I don't want to run a repair install. If anyone can find a solution I will be forever grateful.

Reaction score
My Diagnostics Policy Service setting is set to "Automatic". I know that there is another setting similar to that (Automatic - Delayed Start), as well as the Manual setting, so the only bit of advice I can offer is to make sure that your service is set to Automatic (not Automatic - Delayed Start) and definitely not Manual.

Right-click on the Diagnostics Policy Service link and select properties. Then select "Automatic" from the dropdown menu and click the "Start" button to activate the service. Then click on the Apply button to save your settings.

Last edited:
Reaction score
My Diagnostics Policy Service setting is set to "Automatic". I know that there is another setting similar to that (Automatic - Delayed Start), as well as the Manual setting, so the only bit of advice I can offer is to make sure that your service is set to Automatic (not Automatic - Delayed Start) and definitely not Manual.

Right-click on the Diagnostics Policy Service link and select properties. Then select "Automatic" from the dropdown menu and click the "Start" button to activate the service. Then click on the Apply button to save your settings.
Already set to auto ):

Reaction score
Sorry, but I don't know what else to suggest to you, other than the dreaded reformat. Are you sure that you do not have at least one system image that you could revert back to before this issue occurred? It would seem that you should have at least a few to select from, as I have some that go back for about 30 to 45 days from today's date, which is the standard settings, since I haven't changed the default system image settings

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sorry, but I don't know what else to suggest to you, other than the dreaded reformat. Are you sure that you do not have at least one system image stored that you could roll back to before this issue occurred? It would seem that you should have at least a few system restore images.
I've had this problem for over a year, no images or anything before that. how is it that no one on the web knows how to fix this?

Reaction score
That is quite an enigmatic situation you have, davegri. There are a lot of intelligent and computer savvy members here, so I would hope that someone else may be able to come forward and offer some other possible solutions to help resolve your problem.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
All of my servivces (There are three) are set to manual by default.
Diagnostic policy service; Diagnostic Service host(Must be running); and Diagnostic System host, which must also be running.
The normal situation, after startup, would be that all are shown on manual, but all are shown as "started" What do you see?

Reaction score
All of my services (There are three) are set to manual by default.
Diagnostic policy service; Diagnostic Service host (Must be running); and Diagnostic System host, which must also be running. The normal situation, after startup, would be that all are shown on manual, but all are shown as "started" What do you see?
By default, all of my services were not set to manual. When I received my new desktop and reviewed the running services, there was a mixture of Automatic, Automatic (Delayed Start) and a few set to Manual. Interesting that all of your services were set to manual by default. Is that something that you did?

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
No. As I said, it was the default (Ultimate)

Reaction score
I see. The services settings vary according to the Win7 package on your OS - Ultimate, Home Premium, etc. I didn't realize that there would be nearly as many differences and variables at play within the same OS architecture. Regardless,my default services settings are working very well, so I am leaving them alone.

Last edited:

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Given the choice between reformat and reapir install, I'd go the repair route since you retain all your programs and settings and only a few programs need to be reinstalled. As to your problem, it's definately odd. I checked on my computer (Win7 Ultimate 64bit) and the Diagnostic Service is set to Automatic.

Have you checked Event Viewer for any odd messages? (Go to Control Panel, then Administrative Tools, then Event Viewer)

In the Left Column, Expand the Custom Views and select Administrative Events. In the Center Column look for any relevant error messages

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I see. The services settings vary according to the Win7 package on your OS - Ultimate, Home Premium, etc. I didn't realize that there would be nearly as many differences and variables at play within the same OS architecture. Regardless,my default services settings are working very well, so I am leaving them alone.
I have to correct my previous post, etalmar, apologies. The policy service (only) is on automatic.
'But, as we now have this thread active, here is a list of the entire defaults for all Windows 7 packages.

View attachment 1646

Last edited:
Reaction score
when i open the event viewer i get an error message:

Event log service is unavailable verify that the service is running.

When i try running the service manually I get:

Windows could not start the Windows Event Log service on Local Computer.

Error 4201: The instance name passed was not recognized as valid by a WMI
data provider

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You may have a logging error, otherwise your worse fear may be realised! (reinstall)
But go to Windows - System32 - Logfiles.
Enter each folder you find there and delete all the files.
Reboot and see if all is working.
Have a look, also, through my attachment in the previous post and make sure you have everything on its defaults

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I believe you have solved the problem ? (GlobeStudios).

Reaction score
Reaction score
You may have a logging error, otherwise your worse fear may be realised! (reinstall)
But go to Windows - System32 - Logfiles.
Enter each folder you find there and delete all the files.
Reboot and see if all is working.
Have a look, also, through my attachment in the previous post and make sure you have everything on its defaults
This resolved my problem - the same as above...
Deleting all files in ...Windows\System32\LogFiles\...subdirectories resolved the issue with non working services.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reaction score
same problem, but i cannot connect to wifi or ethernet or usb tehter from my phone even

Reaction score
Another 3 hours lost :(

This resolved my problem - the same as above...
Deleting all files in ...Windows\System32\LogFiles\...subdirectories resolved the issue with non working services.

Thanks!
... but this thread actually had the solution!! Thank you (k)

Removing the log files.... Sigh.

Btw; you might need Fileunlocker to complete removal of all...

Peace!

Devvie

~~~ (e-mail address removed) ~~~

Cuisvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore persevare
——
All spelling mistakes are my own and may only be distributed under the GNU General Public License! – (© 95-1 by Coredump; 2-012 by DevNullius)

Ask a Question