Test the speed of your Home Network

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I was just reading theWinter 2010 issue of the Official Windows Magazine's U.S. version. On the right side of page 19 there's article about a portable program called LAN Speed Test that test your home network speeds, just like Speed Test tests your internet connection. The website listed in the magazine is www.totusoft.com/downloads.html. It states no installation is needed. Can be run from portable hard drives or flash drives. It doesn't mess with the registry or dlls.
I haven't tried it, as I only use one pc.

Reaction score
HI!!!

Fine!!!!
In order to perform ping test, i visit this site www.whoisxy.com/ping.aspx
It has the best information of IP address, IP address to domain, domain name to IP,domain name, hosting, and ping test to know the particular connection is online or not!!!!!

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
My results. Although my wired lan seems very fast at times, these numbers seem quite high to me. About 450 MBps. My router is 54MBps. And reality is about 35-40MBps

Attachments

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
The ones that etalmar linked are the ones that I use, and I have both bookmarked. I realize that there others, even SIW (a free program that can be found in the Free Software Database on this forum) has one.

Speedtest & Pingtest are probably the most popular used ones. I like the option that they offer as to where you want to run your test from. The one where I get the best results from is from the Austin, TX area, halfway towards the West Coast from me. You'd think that the recommended server, which is less than 30 miles away, would produce the best results. But for me, it doesn't.

As far as Web Of Trust goes, it's a handy little app, normally it gives accurate results. It sort of acts as a web review site. But keep in mind, all it takes is a group to give a site bad ratings, and you'll see red circles as a warning to stay away. If I've used the site before, or was recommended so by someone reliable, I tend to ignore those ratings. A reliable AV/IS suite will keep you safe, if the site is infected.

Cat

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I understood this test to measure your home network speed, be it wired or wireless. Internet speed is another animal.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't realize the difference from one over the other. The router probably plays a huge factor in the speed of a home network.

I was just reading an article today, TrendNet offered the world's first 450 Mbps router on the market recently (Dec 2010). The model number is TEW-691GR. According to the ad, it boasted a record 9 radio spatial streams, producing a 200% increase in wireless coverage, compared to 300Mbps routers.

If that ad's facts are true, that would provide a huge increase of your home network speed & distance.

Cat

Reaction score
Most home computers today support 10/100/1000 Mbps wired network speeds. The 150/300/450 Mbps are Wireless N speed values. Wired or wireless, your network speeds are limited by the slowest component during communication.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
So then your adapter type & speed would play a major factor into things? And ISP speeds would too, as far as browsing/download goes.

That being the case, hardly anyone would benefit from a 450Mbps routers, as that would be 4GB/sec (approximate). I've not known of anyone having that fast of a connection, home or ISP.

Cat

Reaction score
hardly anyone would benefit from a 450Mbps routers, as that would be 4GB/sec (approximate).
8 bits = 1 Byte

Divide bits by 8 to get the theoretical Bytes not including overhead for error checking.

450Mbps would be around 50 MBps.

I hope I've not confused myself and stated that wrong.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
You're right, that would be MB's. Still, 50MB/ps would be very fast. I don't even come close to that, and my package is second from the top.

And even if I had that, I doubt that I could ever attain those speeds, as you already stated, the weakest link would slow everything. One would probably have to have top notch routers & adapters to even hope to come close. It would probably be more possible to attain it on a home network, over any ISP.

Cat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question