switching from Vista to W7

Reaction score
I'm thinking of switching from Vista to Windows 7, is windows 7 running stable enough that I won't be running into many problems(like driver problems?). What drivers can I use for W7?the same ones as for vista? What's the best way to prerpare for a clean windows 7 installation?

Reaction score
hey, honestly if you want to you can even do an upgrade installtion, that way you wont need to reinstall anything

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
There are a couple of good threads which might be an interesting read here:

https://www.w7forums.com/those-wondering-win-7-main-op-sys-t675.html
https://www.w7forums.com/windows-7-beta-your-main-os-t317.html

I would recommend a fresh install though, you can use the Easy Transfer wizard to move your files over easily enough :)

Most people have found Windows 7 to be very stable, but you may need to hunt around for some drivers. Most Vista drivers will work fine, but you may have a little more difficult finding some for older hardware if you use the 64-bit version.

Reaction score
thanks for the helpfull information. My pc hardware is about a year old so I suppose installing W7 64 bit shouldb't be a problem if I want to put 6GB ram into my pc?And justone last question what's the average time of W7 installation, that's including installation of drivers?

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
As a rule of thumb you'll have less headaches with a fresh install than an upgrade, but YMMV depending on how accustomed you are to installing OSs. It's kind of hard to truly gauge an OS's performance with an upgrade installation because you can't be sure what crap you've got running there and causing conflicts from the previous version.

I run W7rc1 as my main OS now instead of Vista. The beta did not do it for me at all but the release candidate is, so far, fantastic. So long as your system is 64-bit the 64-bit version should work fine for you.

In my case the installation was very streamlined. I'm not sure how long it took since I was walking in and out of my office, but it was faster than installing Vista, that's for sure. Maybe 20-30 minutes. Most impressively, every single piece of hardware was recognized by Windows 7 and had native drivers - although obviously I replaced Microsoft's Radeon drivers with ones from ATI later on and so forth. My printer software and drivers only exist for Vista, and I installed those on W7 without any issues or complaints.

Reaction score
Mine took 20 minutes to install from inserting dvd to desktop ready. I didn't need to find any drivers all were installed.
The next day I had 21 updates, but I think a lot of them could have been MS Office updates.

Reaction score
completly stable and still , its worth to get rid of vista literally saying

Reaction score
1. It is Officially advised by the Microsoft to go for a Fresh Installation if you are using anything other than Windows Vista SP1. Upgrading to Windows 7 is officially advised for Windows Vista SP1.

2. As you have mentioned that you are planning for 6GB RAM and 64Bit Version of Windows 7 than its OK. As for 64Bit Windows 7 installation minimum RAM requirement is 2GB.

3.Still Windows 7 Developers is working with the compatibility of the drivers with many of the vendors but as far the reports for a 64Bit version Windows Vista Drivers may work. Still Microsoft has online support for about compatibility for only Vista users not for Windows 7. So try it out if it works for you.

Here are some of the useful links which will guide you to the installation process.

1. Use Window 7 Upgrade Adviser to check your system configuration for Minimum System requirements and also checks for the system compatibility. Make sure this tool is a free to download Beta version and you should plug in all the Hardware which you generally use before running this program. More Information,,,

2.For Software and Driver compatibility go for this official site. Link

And installation of Windows 7 will hardly take 15 to 20 Minutes.
Hope this text will be helpful for you.

Ask a Question