"Storage Duplication " problem.

Reaction score
Hello again,
A huge thanks to the forum members who helped me out with my "Recycle bin" problem!!
I wonder if anybody can help me with this latest "Event" ??

A few days ago, a friend of mine bought a Galaxy samsung Mobile phone, and I thought I would try to put some music onto it for him, using Windows media player/centre.
I was completely unsuccesful due to many things...for one, the phone did not have any instruction manual, or a installation CD to help ( it was NOT a stolen phone, honest!! It arrived fully sealed without these items...).It did have a USB cable attachment with it.

However, since I tried, whenever I go into my Windows photo gallery and Windows Media music library, everything has "Doubled".
Each photograph now has an exact copy next to it, and each album track is repeated too.
If I delete a pic, (or album track), BOTH items are deleted... ( hence the wanting to find the recycle bin to restore some items...)

Again, I have NO idea what may have caused this, but it has only happened since I began to somehow try to "Synch" the phone to my computer...
Thank you so much again in advance for any help, and again, if possible, can you please keep any advice as simple as possible for me to understand!!
Best wishes,
Dave

Reaction score
Dave, I am sure that one of the moderators will help you fix this, good luck,SleepyH22

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
When I first connect my phone to my computer via the USB cable, I "see" the phone under Computer, but I cannot access the phone or see any of the properties. I first have to instruct the phone to use the SD card as hard drive. Then I can see all the properties, including space remaining, under Computer and I can then copy my mp3 files over.

Also, you should be able to down load the manual to the phone from the maker's website.

Reaction score
Hi Digerati,
I have tried the "Samsung" home page, and tried to "Download" an instructional manual a few times but ( after a rather a long wait each time...) Nothing seems to happen.....my computer says to "Add other devices" when the phone is connected, but, again, when I click on "Add device"....nothing happens......

As for instructing the phone to use the SD card as hard-drive.....Arrrggghhh!!!

( someone told me last week in my local bar that I should just "Convert" my music collection on my computer to MP3....and then left.. and I have NO idea whatsoever how to do that...
I sincerely apologise for bringing this matter here, but I am completely useless with Computer technology!!
Thank you anyway!!

Last edited:

Shintaro

Reaction score
Assumption, that you have a Galaxy SII.

I do not have a Galaxy, but a quick look at the Samsung site I see that there is software to manage you phone called "Kies".

I would suggest that you download that and give it a try.
http://www.samsung.com/au/support/usefulsoftware/KIES/JSP# (NOTE: This is the Australian site.IT should be available for your country.)

There is also a tutorial on its use!!

The Kies software will have the drivers to enable your computer to talk to your mobile phone correctly.

Hope this helps.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I don't have that phone either so I cannot help. You need to get that manual somehow.

As for converting your MP3s, I hear you. I have about 600 CDs I pulled into Windows Media Player a few years ago and I have since been working my way through each CD, picking off my favorite songs. I had to convert them all to MP3 files to listen to them in my truck via Bluetooth from the MP3 player in my phone. I used a program called Switch. It is not free, but does have a trial period (30 days I think). Since the conversion takes only minutes (lots of minutes - but not days), the trial version worked great for me.

The only problem you may encounter, if you have many files, is disk space as the conversion makes new copies of the files, but in the mp3 file format.

Reaction score
Bumping this please, if I may....
The main problem now ( I have given up temporarily on the Phone Linking problem..) is STILL the un-wanted duplication of music files and photo's...I am getting "Warnings" from the PC that the computers memory is almost full....Again, ifIi "Delete" either of the "Doubled" tracks or pics, BOTH of them then disappear........Thanx again in advance....
Dave.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Are the files physically duplicated on the hard drive or just inside Windows Media Player and Photo gallery? In WMP right click on a song and choose Properties and record the location, then do the same on the dup.

Also please take a screenshot of your WMP so I can see what mode you are using.

Ask a Question