Storage Controller

Reaction score
Hello....I'm at my wits end with trying to get a critical windows update installed. I've been in contact with Microsoft people and I've tried everything they have asked so far and with my last attempt I got this message saying it couldn't update windows 7 files until I updated the Storage Controllers:AWPNX8M5 IDE Controller. This is an Asus P6TD Deluxe Motherboard and can't seem to be able to find such a thing anywhere and been to the Asus site several times. Any ideas on how I can get this updated would be very much appreciated......my only option left it seems is to do a reformat and start all over again and see if that helps but would rather not.

Reaction score
I've already done that but tried it again and still the same thing. Seems both Windows update and Asus seem to see my comnputer as something other than a 64 bit operating system.....many of the errors I get say it can't update my version of windows which is Windows 7 Professional (X64)

Reaction score
Sounds like some sort of registry corruption or some sort of bug in your system. What does it say in your event viewer? How long have you had this OS up and running? Might be worth a re-install of the OS. It's a little extreme and last resort sort of thing but a sure fire fix.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
It 'may' be the Marvell 88SE6111 chipset controller for PATA devices aka IDE drives.

What does your Device Manager look like? Does it show any yellow warning signs on any of the storage controller hardware?

Do you have any PCI controller cards plugged in for use with external eSATA drives?

Reaction score
I've had this OS up and running for over a year, perhaps 1-1/2 years or there-a-bouts. Device manager shows everything is fine and all working properly and I don't have any PCI contoller cards plugged in for external sata drives. I'm thinking it might just be best to start over with a fresh install and hopefully that will correct the problem. thanks to all for the feedback, it was appreciated

Ask a Question