Space on drive C

Reaction score
My computer came with a partioned hard drive C & D. It appears that my C drive is full. I have heard that you can set it up to keep only the OS & critical files on drive C
& then all other docs videos on the D drive. How can I do this and is it possible?

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Can you supply more info about your computer? Hard drive size? Brand and model # if purchased whole. Sometimes that D partition is a recovery partition only and you shouldn't mess with it.

Reaction score
I have a DELL laptop Inspiron 1764, I5 M430 @2.27 GH z (4 CPU's), 64 bit 500 GB, 4GB ram, purchased whole 1 yr old.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
The D drive is 58GB?

Is this basically your laptop? http://www.dell.com/us/dfh/p/inspiron-1764/pd

Can you open "computer" from the start menu and right click your C drive and choose properties and tell us what you see in terms of used space, free space and capacity? Do the same with your D drive.
Here's mine.

Attachments

Reaction score
Yes that is th laptop in question. The C (OS) drive is 58.5 Gb with 8.5 GB free space. the D (Local disk) drive is 397 GB with 235 GB free space.

Last edited:

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Okay thanks.

You're already set up right, just a matter of housecleaning.

First try that disk clean up utility in the properties window from before.
2- move all your documents and data to the other drive. Create folders for music. videos, pictures and documents and create shortcuts to them on your desktop or include them in the library folders.
3- Create a programs file on the D drive and install any future programs in there. You can even uninstall some of your current programs and reinstall them in there.
4- download and use the free Ccleaner to finish the job. Let me know if you need help using that.

I believe you have a lot of old restore points filling up C. you can get rid of the old ones if you're not having any issues.

That's a start.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Also set your default download locations in your preferred browser(s) to the D drive, that will help.

If you do torrents, be sure to set the downloads from them to the D drive too.

Ask a Question