SOLVED Sound Malfunction. Help Please!

Reaction score
I want to start out by saying this is on a laptop, not a desktop. So it started out with a minimal but annoying problem. My sound would work fine, everything perfectly normal, then after a few minutes of not using any sound it would just stop working. YouTube videos would play for 2 seconds, then reset at 0 and then play fully, every video did this and this is how I checked if it was happening again (has happened a lot, but no so much that it was that big of a problem). Now a simple restart used to fix it every time, but today it happened twice and I was fed up with it. So I decided to really see what was up with it. After troubleshooting and getting no problems detected I looked further into it. I wanted to see what was wrong so I played a sound file from WMP and got Error C00D11BA which is "Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly." So after reading a few things about it I was informed that I needed to uninstall the drivers and reinstall them. I uninstalled them and deleted device software for them, then restarted. And Windows did install one driver back, though it was not the one I needed or had before, which are Intel (R) Display Audio and Realtek High Definition. I went to the websites of both and installed the drivers back and in Device Managers it looks exactly the same as before, though this time the system tray sound icon has a red X and mousing over it says "No Audio Output Device is enabled" I went into Hardware and Sound>Manage Audio Devices and my speakers are enabled and both drivers are enabled as well. And trying to play something from WMP results in the same error as before. I'm really lost on what's happening here and would really appreciate some help. Thanks.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I don't know if we can help you or not but I know we need the make/model of laptop so we can look up what the manufacturer says is the drivers for your sound.

Reaction score
After some research I'm about 90% sure that it's an Asus K53E-DH52

Reaction score
There should be some labeling on the bottom of the laptop that will give the make and model of it.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
For an Asus K53E, get the Realtek Audio driver listed here. Choose 32 or 64-bit OS to be sure you get the right one.

Reaction score
Thank you, I will try that when I get home and I'll let you know the outcome. What I understand is that I should uninstall my current drivers (Realtek and Intel (R) Display Audio) and then install the Realtek one that you posted and let Windows automatically re-install the Intel one. Is this correct? Or would it be ok to just keep the Intel one installed?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I'm not sure what device is using the Intel so for first try I would just leave it but I think you should go to control panel > device manager and "Uninstall" the old Realtek then install this one.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Just a follow-up, received a private message from Arxtix saying he finally has it fixed.

He sent it back to ASUS and they returned it saying it wasn't a hardware issue. So he took it to a friend who reinstalled W7 and there was still something so the friend also changed some BIOS settings and now it is working.

So Arxtix, I'm sorry I wasn't able to get it going but I'm glad you got it fixed. I will mark this solved.

BTW, if the friend didn't format the hard drive before he reinstalled then you can find your data in windows.old\users\Arxtix\My Documents, windows.old\users\Arxtix\My Music, windows.old\users\Arxtix\My Pictures, windows.old\users\Arxtix\My Videos, and windows.old\users\Arxtix\Downloads

Ask a Question