size of text on screen.

Reaction score
I think someone asked this earlier but cant find the post.
Is there a way to keep things larger on the screen? I'm more conscious of this now I have a 24inch monitor.
For instance after I've loaded w7forums I'll go ctrl + z + the addition symbol to enlarge to a size I like.

I find this works better the the windows magnifier tool.

Anyway as long as I'm in the forum it will stay that way but if I open another page from a tab or hyperlink from an email or another forum I will then have to repeat the commands to get the size I want.
Is there a way to retain settings or alternatively can someone give me instructions as to how to set up a macro/hotkey to have a single keystroke to achieve what I want.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Under Control Panel >> Display you can change the resolution between 100% (default) 125% and 150%. Dunno if that's what you are after.

Reaction score
Already had it at medium/125%. Set it to 150% and I'll see how that goes but I don't think it's what I want. I'll come to you on it after I change settings.

Reaction score
Tried it but that's a bit like using a mallet to hammer in a thumb tack. It's too much and it had the odd effect of making my mouse cursor disappear, I still had mouse control but could only see the buttons/tabs highlighted once the mouse was over it but a visible mouse pointer was gone.

Reaction score
Tried it but that's a bit like using a mallet to hammer in a thumb tack. It's too much and it had the odd effect of making my mouse cursor disappear, I still had mouse control but could only see the buttons/tabs highlighted once the mouse was over it but a visible mouse pointer was gone.
To change fonts like the way winxp allows us but m$ has hidden the method on howto:

Rt click on desktop -> click "windows color" which has a faded out "windows classic" underneath -> should see "windows color and appearance".

You should then see an "item" drop-down box that says "desktop" as default. Underneath the "item" box is the "font" box that doesn't have anything as default as there is no font associated with the "desktop" item.

Use the "item" down-arrow to select different items that has fonts in order to change the default font for "menu", title, icon, etc.

I don't know how IE does the fonts but Firefox does a combo of the "system fonts" (as changed in the color & appearance) & also the UserChrome.css file ((copied & edited from UserChromeexample.css (I probably misspelled it)).

Just a need to do various trials to see what is good for your eyes.

NOTE: micro$oft doesn't follow their "rules" as some dialog/popup menus don't change from the default font size which can be tiny, especially when using browse in the start menu to browse for the program.

My 22" is set at 125 dpi to help overcome some of micro$oft's ignoring the font setups; 96 dpi had faster displays but more of fonts remain system tiny for the 1680/1050 resolution screen.

Good luck tho but be aware some web pages may have mangled text (over riding lines) because that webmaster isn't a master & not doing things right in FF but may be ok in IE.

Reaction score
Rt click on desktop -> click "windows color" which has a faded out "windows classic" underneath -> should see "windows color and appearance".
Fell at the first hurdle I'm afraid as right click on the desktop does not bring up "windows colour".

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Path for iampaul should have been. RClxcik the desktop - Personalize - windows colot - Advanced appearance settings. But reference the "Display" options, you may have noticed that the last option on the list, after the 125 etc, is customised. perhaps you can work with that?

But have you tried these:

For Internet ExplorerSelect "View " - Text Size - and then you have the options toselect the font size Largest, Larger, Medium, Smaller, Smallest
I think Firefox is very similar, ie. "View" - Text Size - and then you have select Increase, Decrease, Normal

Reaction score
I think Firefox is very similar, ie. "View" - Text Size - and then you have select Increase, Decrease, Normal
That does work Dave, marginally better perhaps in that only the text gets enlarged as opposed to my CTRL. and z and +. Although my way gives more control over size.

Still does not keep the setting between browsers sessions.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Mychael do you mean fonts for everything or fonts in your browser? Because you can set browser fonts to be larger. See my post in this thread here.

Reaction score
Yeah, that was the discussion I was thinking off. I even put my two pence worth in :eek:. I also see I've tried all those suggestions as well, except my own for some 3rd party tweaker.

Ask a Question