Short cut for folders & texts

Reaction score
Looking for a simple (portable version if possible) what with a few keystrokes (like left windows key and f key) opens up a particular folder and one that inserts a text (anywhere from say 3 characters to a short paragraph) into a Word document.

It seems that for folders one can create a shortcut to a folder & THEN add shortcut Key - but then I have multiple folders on the desktop.

Currently I am using QuickTextPaste - which is OK, just curious if any other choices out there.

Thx.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You should be able to do that with Windows 7, no extra program required.

1.On the desktop right-click and chose New>shortcut.
In the shortcut browse to or type the path of the folder you want to be able to access, example:
C:\Users\TrainableMan\Downloads and hit NEXT, then click FINISH to save the shortcut as the folder name.
2. Now right-click on the shortcut now sitting on your desktop and choose PROPERTIES. Go to the "Shortcut" tab and put the cursor in the shortcut key box and type a letter, example D. Click APPLY & OK.
3. When I hit Ctrl+Alt+D it now opens Windows Explorer to my Downloads Folder.

NOTE: I tried storing the shortcut in other folders but when I did the shortcut key did not function. In fact if I move the shortcut & then move it back to the desktop it did not function. So it seems it only works if the shortcut is created somewhere under the desktop & left there. (Of course you are welcome to try other locations and let us know if you can find another spot for the shortcut where the shortcut key still functions)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Exactly, that method then creates a whole mess of extra folders on the desk top. I guess i could create a folder on the desktop, then move all my folders there and then create the shortcut folders, but that just seems odd.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yes, you can create a folder on the desktop and then store a bunch of shortcuts within that single folder. I thought I had tried this but I now realize it failed because I dragged the shortcut there from the desktop, not because it cannot be in a subfolder; after your post I tried creating it in a subfolder on the desktop and it did still work. (I edited my post above to reflect this correction.) ... So as long as they are created on the desktop or in a folder that is on the desktop, and not moved, then it seems to work.

Ask a Question