SD MMC card reader not recognized

Reaction score
First check to see if another computer can read the card. Some times a card can go bad. If it can then we know it's with in your reader itself. Check the device manager to see if any issues are there, a yellow triangle. If not, then unistall driver for card reader from device manager, then reboot this will load the generic driver for it. Then test card in reader. Then if you still have a problem go to PC website and download driver for it from there, once installed reboot and check reader.

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
Confirmed that the card works on another laptop. Downloaded the driver from HP, still not working.

I am baffled. :(

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
According to the device manager, the status is: This device is working properly.

But when I insert the card and open explorer, I do not see it.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi Kalario

Does the SD card show in My Computer ?

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
That's what I meant by when I open explorer, Windows explorer or my computer. The card does not show up. :dontknow:

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
With sounds on do you get a getting connected sound when you insert the SD card ?

Try this in XP Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Storage > Removable Storage > Libraries - you may see your SD Card.

Last edited:

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
Thanks Veedaz...I think we're getting close.

Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Storage > Removable Storage > Libraries - I only see the DVD-ROM

Reaction score
There may be an internal connection problem with the drive. Is it under warranty? If so, contact Dell. You may have to send off to them to be fixed. If it's not under warranty, you might want to take it to a PC repair shop and see if it's a loose wire or a soldering point has come undone.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
After a bit of searching there seams to be quite a few people that have had problems with the HP 6930p card reader, but if you are getting a sound notification when the SD card is inserted try holding the SD card in >
If I just insert the SD, it does two dings and nothing else happens.
However, I tried to insert it and HOLD it pressed all the way in until the 1st ding is heard. After that, I let go (it comes back out just a little bit, like it should) - there is no 2nd ding, and it shows up in Windows explorer
As bassfisher6522 said you may have a problem with the card reader its self ... worth getting it checked.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Sometimes these repairs can be expensive, is there anyone that makes a USB powered one (more or less an adaptor), for a replacement?

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
There are quite a few USB Card Readers and USB Card Reader/Hubs Cat some powered some not and there quite inexpensive.

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
I do have an adaptor and is works fine. I just wish I could use the darn reader itself.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I would say that its the reader that is at fault then Kalario, you could replace it or use another reader ... or adaptor.

Ask a Question