save file on external drive not the same as internal drive

Reaction score
Why do files moved to an external drive not behave the same as those same files in an internal drive? I noticed that if I do anything to a file that is in an external drive, that file can not be saved under the same name (read only). In order to do so one must save it internally and then copy or move it to the external drive.
So I did just that--I copied a file from taken from an external drive, saved it in the internal one and then copied it back to the external one. Now if I r-click the propeerties of these 2 same files and then go to the 'Security' tab a difference is immediately apparent: The internal one has -1- System & -2 My-computername (user-PC\user and -3- Administrators (user-PC\Administrators) with all 3 accounts allowing all (full control, read, write, etc..). While the external drive has in Properties; -1- System -2- Administrators (user-PC\Administrators) and -3- Users (user-PC\Userrs) with this final 3d one (and different one) with no Allow for "full control, or modify or write.
So how does one have all its files in this external drive behave and be equal to all the same files in the internal drive?
Since -3- Users (user-PC\Userrs) in the external drive is that which is differnt from the internal drive I was wondering if it is OK to delete this Permission or 'attribute' or whatever it is called and create instead one equal to the one in the internal drive -3- Administrators (user-PC\Administrators)? ANd of course doing so in one go and not file after file after file, individually, would be ideal.

Any suggestions my friends?

Thank you

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Permissions is a tricky bugger.

Easiest thing I know is to download and install "Take Ownership" which is available in our Freeware DB. Then run it against the folder you need control over.

Reaction score
Hi

Thanks a lot for your help. Having owned that software I had already tried what you suggested. So far, in my 3 months of using it I have found it totally useless.

thanks again

Reaction score
BTW 4got to mention something. I also manually changed the properties of the file--giving it write permission and full control and it still would not allow me to save it. What happens is, even though you click on 'Save" a "Save As" window pops up instead. and the results are as I mentioned

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Just FYI: "Take Ownership" is not really software, it's a script.

but anyway ...

Are you comfortable running DOS commands?
-Drop into a command prompt.
-type X: (where X is the drive letter of your external)
-then type ATTRIB -R *.* /s /d
That may take a while but it should remove the Read-Only attribute from every file and folder on the drive.

Reaction score
Thanks TM. After seeing that even if I manually changed the permissions myself gave no positive results I can not but believe that it is something a few steps further that is in control of it--as proven by the fact that even once I tried your suggestion I could see on the screen, flashing by again and again access denied or something along those lines. The results being nothing changed. Though I doubted it at first I am now question if it something within the drive itself that is doing this

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well they might be set up as System files.
You could try ATTRIB -S *.*

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You might also try Unlocker which is also in our Freeware DB. It is primarily to move/copy files that are in use but it would tell you if any program has a locking hold on the file.

Ask a Question