rough 7 install

Reaction score
Anyone had this problem. I bought Windows 7 Home premium full edition. I wanted to do a clean fresh install of Windows so I did not save Windows XP home but rather started as if the drive were blank. The installation started and proceeded well to a point then it froze and then went to blue screen or sometimes a black screen. I would restart the machine and the installation would start again getting each time a little farther along with each blue screen issue. Finally it seemed to get to the end then went again to a blue screen. This last time when I rebooted it booted right into Windows 7 as if the installation were complete even though it really never got to that stage before the blue screen appeared. But I then removed the install disc and the system has been running fine as far as I can see except that when I ran the diagnostics tools from control panel I get a window saying sys files missing or no driver installed unable to complete the system diagnostics. What does that mean and is it possible the system never really fully installed??

I have another issue. In Media center when I set up to record live TV (programmed record or not) there is poor sound. The background or periphery sounds are there but muted some what, the voice track is missing all together. If I just want to listen to a tv channel sound is fine. Only seems to be a recording issue. Any help??

I am running Windows 7 Home premium Full version, AMD Athlon 64 dual core @2300 Mgh, 4 gigs of dual channel 6400 Ram, H788 Aver Hybrid tuner with the latest 64 bit drivers, using on board ALcC 97 Realtek sound system with the latest drivers as well and overall that is better than it has ever been with any other windows installation sound is greattt! I have no issues with other software and their sound applications.

hickoryshirt

Reaction score
Hi hickoryshirt - Welcome to w7forums

That to me sounds as if the DVD drive is going out or needs cleaning.

Have you had any issues with the DVD drive reading and writing in the past?

Reaction score
rough install

Thanks for the reply.

No I have had no problems with the drive in fact it is brand new and works perfectly for all other uses ie burning, playing all burning functions are normal.

Reaction score
Have you tried cleaning the Win7 media?

I have just had the same kind of issue (patchy reading) when I was trying to install Modern Warfare 2. A quick clean of the DVD with my glasses cloth and no more issues. I guess there was some form of residue from the manufacturing process.

Reaction score
Well, you might check your chipset manufacturer's site and see if they have updated audio drivers for your setup. If they have seven specific drivers, all the better.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks everyone,

Though I still do not know why there was the install issues. It is installed and seems to be working fine except for the Media center recording sound issue. I uninstalled and reinstalled the sound drivers and it seems to be okay for now! Perhaps that was the issue?

Jim

Ask a Question