SOLVED Getac B300: BSOD when connected to Sony Xperia V through WiFi

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've had this Getac B300 for some years now, but it's long since seized to act as my daily driver (that role is now onto my Dell Latitude E6420.)

Laptop specs: Getac B300; Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Service Pack 1 + the latest updates; Intel Centrino processor; 4Gb RAM; Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN.

Normally, I connect to the internet through a Huawei 4G WiFi modem-router, or either of two Android phones with unlimited data plans, via their WiFi hotspot functions. Until recently, I had been using two Sony Xperia U's, and two Sony Ericsson Xperia Rays before that. A few weeks ago, I bought two new Xperia V phones - not exactly state-of-the-art, but they're all the phone I need for a very good price, with 4G connectivity!

Problem is, while the other machines play with the new phones with nary a hitch as usual, the Getac just won't play. Within a minute of connecting to the WiFi hotspot of either of the Xperia V's, I get this:

And after it restarts, this is the report I get:

I got the same issue in safe mode as well. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the wireless driver on the Getac, but it didn't change anything. So far, the only other solution I can think of is doing a factory reset on the phones, and you know I don't wanna do that unless I absolutely have to.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Hello TM,

I just uploaded a zip file, if it could be of any help.

Just to be sure, instead of reinstalling the driver I already had, I downloaded the driver from Getac's website and reinstalled it, and then used Intel's utility to check driver versions, and it showed me that the driver was current.

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Every single DMP mentions netw5v64.sys dated 3/26/2009 12:21:24 PM, so if you can't find a newer version then you are probably out-of-luck. If that is the case then your best option would be to disable the Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN and buy a little USB wi-fi adapter and use that to connect.

Reaction score
I found a driver on Intel's site that's dated 2013, but the information page specifically states that even with this recent driver, 4965AGN will not update beyond its 2009 driver. So I said what the heck? I installed it anyway, but that didn't change anything. Indeed, the driver version in Device Manager still dates back to 2009, and I'm still getting the BSOD.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You could try contacting Intel support, providing your BSOD information, to see if they have any intention of updating the drivers but I would not hold much hope of that. As I said, other than a new driver, what you may need to do is get a different wi-fi network device and disable the one onboard.

Reaction score
Hello TrainableMan,

Sorry about the belated reply. I've been out of town for a few weeks and had other machines to use, so I kinda let it lay for a while. Today, however, I ran the machine for the first time in weeks and decided to read some discussions here and there about the issue. Someone on an Intel Communities forum suggested that the Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965BGN adapter might have issues with 802.11n mode, so I figured I'd employ some common sense and disable 802.11n mode from the Advanced pane in the adapter's configuration properties, and voila! No more of the BSOD issue!

Thanks,
Shady

Shintaro

Reaction score
Mate, if everything is working, could you please mark the thread as solved.