Remove Password Logon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I turn on computer. it asks me for a password. i dont want to do this. I have searched till i am tired. How do i turn this off? I would like to turn it on and it goes right to desktop. I do not like windows 7. Thanks

Reaction score
The easiest way is to make sure you are the only user account available and your account doesn't have a password to use the account. There is usually no need for a password if you want Windows to boot straight to desktop. If you set the computer with multiple accounts, you will need to set the account you want booted by default.
  1. If you create a password, Windows will ask for a password before starting.
  2. If there is more than one account, Windows will give a start screen for user selection.
  3. If there is only one user and no password, Windows will have no need for user input.
Windows can be configured to act differently but those are the most common.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If it asks for a password immediately, even before BIOS posts then that would be a BIOS password. To remove that you would need to enter your BIOS and change it to not require a password.

More likely, it is a Windows 7 password like Clifford was explaining. If you go to Control Panel > All Control Panels Items > User Accounts, there you can remove your password if you wish.

If you prefer you can leave the W7 password but set it to log on automatically. See Ian's article HERE for instructions on how to make it logon to a specific user by default.

Change is always difficult; I was not a huge fan of W7 in the beginning either because I wanted to do everything as I always had in XP and that just isn't possible in W7, but you get used to the differences and start to take advantage of some of the benefits and, in time, it gets easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question