Reinstalled Windows but it's slower

Reaction score
Hello guys, I recently registered here because of the problem I encountered. I have recently reinstalled Windows 7 and to be honest I'm not content with the way it moves around.

So to be short, I haven't installed Windows for over 3 years and it was good. Recently I just got to notice that it took a bit longer to start(for me) and I had nearly all my HDD full (600 GB). So I decided to reinstall Windows.

Now to be honest I'm not happy at all with the way it starts, also nearly half of my memory ram is beeing used at start even though I have no big programs installed. Even when on idle it uses like half of it. Not sure if it's just me but last time I installed Windows 7 it was way better and didn't use that much ram at start.

I have an obsession with PC perfomance
since I reckon I installed windows 4 times in the last 48 hours. lol I know, that's just stupid. Another problem I have is that I don't have my drivers disk which is pretty bad. I've been told that once all the windows updates/drivers are installed it will run faster, and I did so the last time I installed Windows (back in 2011) and it ran smooth. Here's my specs guys, the PC is pretty old but it had a good run.

System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 4/17/2014, 21:36:01
Machine name: xxxx-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130828-1532)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: System Product Name
BIOS: BIOS Date: 05/08/09 10:01:39 Ver: 08.00.12
Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
Memory: 2048MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 2048MB RAM
Page File: 1804MB used, 2289MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 8600 GT
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0402&SUBSYS_34551458&REV_A1
Display Memory: 1267 MB
Dedicated Memory: 499 MB
Shared Memory: 767 MB

Shintaro

Reaction score
Welcome to the W7Forums.

So the first thing I see is that you have 2048Mb (2Gb) of RAM, that is close to the minimum. Microsoft Referrence HERE.
I suggest that you go to 4096Mb (4Gb) of RAM.

You haven't told us your motherboards manufacturer or model number so we don't know where to direct you to the drivers for your computer.

Please run CPU-Z as Administrator, then go to the About Tab and save the report as a .txt (Text document). Then please upload it to the forum.

Also I would suggest that you run a chkdsk to make sure that your Hard Disk is OK.

There are some good Articles HERE that might be of use to you.

Shintaro

Reaction score
I was just thinking, if your computer is 3 years old, the price of RAM might be very expensive. So whilst I think more RAM is a good idea, I am also aware that it would be crazy to spend too much money on RAM that is old. If you get what I mean?

Reaction score
Thanks in advance for the answers.

Well, here it is.
I also did a disk check on the partition Windows is installed (C) and apparently there are no problems. Also my computer is not 3 years old but I guess more.

One of my friends said that the issue is also because I installed the x64 version, whereas I only have 2 GB of ram. He said that Windows is acting like I would have more resources, and suggested me to install the x32 bit Windows 7. Weird is, I always had this version since 2011 and never complained about it.

Attachments

Shintaro

Reaction score
Mate,

HERE is a link to your motherboard and where you can find the drivers.
Install the drivers and see how you go.

Just use the 64bit Version of windows for now.

It's 1 am here now so I'll respond in about 8 hours.

Reaction score
Hey, sorry for replying so late, was busy with Easter preparations and all that :p
Well, I downloaded the drivers you sent link to and I got some files which are read as .rom type(unfamiliar to me) and it doesn't seem like an executive or something to launch, more like data files. Where do I place these? Or what am I supposed to do with them?

Shintaro

Reaction score
Don't worry about that one. That is for a BIOS update.
Did the other drivers install?

Reaction score
Well I haven't used it too much today and the changes after I installed the drivers are minimum. There's still problems when changing tabs, like putting a program idle and changing to another.

:s

Shintaro

Reaction score
HERE is the link for your NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT video driver, just in case you didn't have it.

Ask a Question