reinstallation

Reaction score
Hi,I was haveing problems with my new win 7.I have had it about a month.I also had mcafee installed,which by the way i would never recommend to anyone.I have had nothing but problems since.My question is can i reinstall win 7 with dell disk i have?I have`nt installed anything of value.AND wanted to start fresh.I have a dell data safe local back up.But not a great computer person.Any recommendations? Thanks

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Is it a MS Windows 7 disk supplied by DELL? Last time did you do a clean install or an upgrade install? You do have the Windows 7 product key, right?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums, newjack77! Did you do this install or did you buy the computer with Windows 7 preinstalled? I know that in past years, Dell offered XP Pro reinstall discs. If yours is a similar disc from Dell, you should be able to boot from it and reinstall your OS. You didn't need a key to do this then, I don't know about now. But you do need to locate that key and make record of it, just in case. This should work IF this is an OEM install. That's what we need to know before we can tell you anything. I just don't want you to screw up your computer, not knowing whether Windows 7 came with the computer, and not knowing exactly what kind of disc this is that you have. PS: I said you didn't need a key to do this then, I don't know about now. You did need a key to reinstall XP Pro, you just don't have to enter it, the info is already in your system, unless you replace a lot of parts, especially the motherboard.

Last edited:

Ask a Question