Regular Atikmdag.sys BSOD in games

Reaction score
Hi there!

I'm having continuous BSODs in games like CoD:MW2 and L4D2, I tried to identify the problem by viewing dmp with BlueScreenView. The only thing I came up with, that the source of the problem is probably atikmdag.sys, dxgmm1.sys, halmacpi.dll, ntkrnlpa.exe. Recently I switched my old CPU (AMD Athlon x2 6000+) to my brothers AMD Athlon x2 6400+ for a few Mhz increase hoping that games would improve in fps a little. I don't know if its a coincidence but as I can remember i'm getting problems since then. I hope it can be solved in a different way rather than just switching everything back as it was.

I tried doing several clean installs, several catalyst versions, manually controlling the GPU fan speed to 100% whether its a temperature problem, with no luck, still having BSODs during game sessions, in L4D2 its crashes to desktop without any description of the problem, in MW2 it crashes with the screen stopping, sounds freezing, and suddenly a BSOD.

Please if anyone have any suggestions i would greatly appreciate.

Edit: I also uploaded the minidump.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi.

C:\Windows\Minidump

Copy the files in there to any other folder then zip them. Attach the zip to a post and I will hook you up well. :)

Reaction score
Hi.

C:\Windows\Minidump

Copy the files in there to any other folder then zip them. Attach the zip to a post and I will hook you up well. :)
I uploaded the minidump file to my first forum entry.

Reaction score
1) Remove Daemon Tools in the normal method. The use this installer/uninstaller to remove the notorious sptd.sys. Be careful to make sure you click Uninstall while using:

DuplexSecure - Downloads

Reboot and install PowerISO to replace it. Disc emulation part of it is free forever and perfectly stable:

http://www.PowerISO.com

2) Update video card driver:

atikmdag atikmdag.sys Tue Oct 26 22:26:21 2010

Drivers & Support | GAME.AMD.COM

3) Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers and delete this old driver which is very likely causing issues due to its age and type:

AmdLLD AmdLLD.sys Fri Jun 29 15:47:32 2007

Reboot again.

4) Enjoy, should be well now. If not, post new crash dumps and we will get this system 100% stable for sure, one way or another, with minimal effort. If you do have crashes still, also download and run CPU-Z. Attach a screenshot of each of the memory and spd tabs.

Good luck and have fun gaming.

Reaction score
Thanks for your help it seems to be fine for now, MW2 didn't crash since yesterday, only L4D2 crashed [to desktop, "APPCRASH"] today after few game sessions, but it lasted longer than before.

Reaction score
Thanks for your help it seems to be fine for now, MW2 didn't crash since yesterday, only L4D2 crashed [to desktop, "APPCRASH"] today after few game sessions, but it lasted longer than before.
I don't know if it has something to do with it but, it seems chance of getting bosd greatly increases when I turn on NOD32 real time protection.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
AV software can often cause BSODs. If you system is working fine that's great but if you notice issues as you mentioned then consider uninstalling NOD32 and using Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) instead.

Ask a Question