SOLVED Recycle bin won't empty

Reaction score
I cannot figure out what is wrong!!! I cannot get the recycle bin to empty!!! every time I click on "Empty Recycle Bin" nothing happens, it won't delet the fines in the recycle bin and it's hogging hard drive space!!!

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Seems like your recycle bin is corrupted. The original (Microsoft) remedy for this is:
1. Open a Command Prompt window. (Run as Administrator)
2. Type the following command and press ENTER: rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin

This will empty the recycle bin folder from the C:\ partition. If you have more than one partition or HD, You may have to do this for each .
If that does not do the trick, you can try Ccleaner, which incudes that function, or, longwinded, try the well known SFC /scannow to refresh all your Windows 7 files. This is time consuming, but very thorough. If you have been attacked in any way, the last will probably take care of it.

Reaction score
Seems like your recycle bin is corrupted. The original (Microsoft) remedy for this is:
1. Open a Command Prompt window. (Run as Administrator)
2. Type the following command and press ENTER: rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin

This will empty the recycle bin folder from the C:\ partition. If you have more than one partition or HD, You may have to do this for each .
If that does not do the trick, you can try Ccleaner, which incudes that function, or, longwinded, try the well known SFC /scannow to refresh all your Windows 7 files. This is time consuming, but very thorough. If you have been attacked in any way, the last will probably take care of it.
I left the recycle bin open all night and it emptied just fine this morning... I don't know what the issue was but it is fixed now...

Ask a Question