Reboot Loop Problem

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

Recently I installed windows 7 sp1 on my HP Compaq PC.
Everything was done correctly. System reboots during installation whenever required.
Also after complete installation, windows loads smoothly and there was no problem.
But after some time (after 2 or 3 restarts), when I restart my PC from Start menu, system restarts, BIOS screen appears, but right after that when Windows logo screen comes to load, system restarts again and the same procedure repeats again and again until I switch off my PC.
Moreover, if I shutdown my PC from Start menu, there is no any problem, and computer starts next time smoothly.
Only problem occurs when I restarts from the start menu option.
Kindly help me to solve the issue.
I 've changed almost everything in my PC to check but all in vain.
My PC specs are :
intel core 2 duo
2.33 GHz
2 GB RAM
500 GB sata HDD

Waiting for solution

Thanks

Reaction score
Try booting the system and during the bios splash screen try hitting F8. This should bring you into a prompt for booting into safe mode. Try that if it doesn't work there, insert the CD and try a repair from the same window. If neither of those work rebuild.

Hope this helps

Reaction score
Try booting the system and during the bios splash screen try hitting F8. This should bring you into a prompt for booting into safe mode. Try that if it doesn't work there, insert the CD and try a repair from the same window. If neither of those work rebuild.

Hope this helps
I tried it, but during repair, system prompt me as "Start up Problem", but couldn't repair it.

Shintaro

Reaction score
So what about Safe Mode, as Reagan advised? Did that work?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Several possibilities including ... it could be a virus, it could be a hardware problem, or it could be a registry glitch.

What A/V do you use and when is the last time you used it to run a complete scan? First, I suggest you reboot into safe mode and run a complete scan there.

When you installed, did you install to a freshly formatted hard drive or did you install over an old OS? There are often problems if you install over Vista so, if that is the case, you might consider backing up all your data to an external drive and then formatting and reinstalling fresh.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Another possibility, as the problem is only on restarts, is that you have a program hanging, which is trying to hog the resources on reboot. Have a look in Msconfig - startup tab, and see what programsyou have, running resident there.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Dave, that's kinda what made me suspect a virus or even his Anti-virus software. You know how they really try hard to hang in there.

Reaction score
No,
Just after BIOS screen , pc restarts and safe mode is not running.

But, if I switch off my PC and then switch on it, pc starts normally and also Safe mode runs normally.

Also, I have formatted my HDD completely, and then I install Windows on it.
Complete Scan for viruses also done with no virus found.

One thing more, I install windows 7 last year on it, there was no such problem, and I made a Ghost image, so when I restore that image, no problem was found and computer runs and restarts normally. Only problem with the new installation.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Once you reboot into safe made run a complete antivirus scan and see if it finds anything.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I would put in the W7 installation DVD and boot the system to the DVD (DVD must be first in the BIOS start-up list) and then I would run a system repair and cross your fingers.

If you are lucky it might be a corrupt boot-up or system file.

Reaction score
I would put in the W7 installation DVD and boot the system to the DVD (DVD must be first in the BIOS start-up list) and then I would run a system repair and cross your fingers.

If you are lucky it might be a corrupt boot-up or system file.
I tried all the options including Startup Repair via Windows 7 Installation DVD, but problem is still there. Syatem ask about start up problem but couldn't repair it.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Other than a complete reformat and reinstall the only thing you might try is like Dave had already said, check what programs you have running and eliminate some until you find what is causing the hang. The first thing I would try uninstalling is your anti-virus software. Of course if it is your A/V causing problems then you will want to get another program instead.

Reaction score
Hello zych80

[additionally]

Please boot in Safe Mode http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/69585-safe-mode.html
Then, run a full scan with MBAM http://www.malwarebytes.org/
and an SFC Scan http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html

Post back the results

I scanned pc with MBAM and aslo Check file system using SFC Scan, but no problem was found.

System still restarts again & again when I click "Restart" option from the start menu.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
What Anti-Virus software do you use? Did you try uninstalling it as I suggested? If it doesn't fix the problem you can always reinstall.

Reaction score
What Anti-Virus software do you use? Did you try uninstalling it as I suggested? If it doesn't fix the problem you can always reinstall.

I am using Microsoft Security Essential software now.
But problem started just after new installation of windows, without any antivirus software.
I also sacn my computer using bootable Bitdefender rescue cd and no virus was detected.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Something definitely seems amiss with your computer and if you can't get it to repair then I think you need to consider starting over fresh.

I would back up your user settings and data to an external hard drive or DVDs using Windows Easy Transfer, then I would install double driver or drivermax and backup all your drivers to a DVD, gather all your program disks together, make sure you have the original W7 installation or restore disks ... then format the hard drive, next reinstall W7 (use driver DVD if requested), restore your userids & data with windows easy transfer, and reinstall all your programs.

Reaction score
Something definitely seems amiss with your computer and if you can't get it to repair then I think you need to consider starting over fresh.

I would back up your user settings and data to an external hard drive or DVDs using Windows Easy Transfer, then I would install double driver or drivermax and backup all your drivers to a DVD, gather all your program disks together, make sure you have the original W7 installation or restore disks ... then format the hard drive, next reinstall W7 (use driver DVD if requested), restore your userids & data with windows easy transfer, and reinstall all your programs.
I apply all these options, even I used a new hard drive with completely fresh installation, but all in vain.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Have you checked the computer manufacturer's (or motherboard's) site for a BIOS update?

Ask a Question