Ready for the next step

Reaction score
Hi,
I have re-installed my Windows 7 twice over this past week, unfortunately I could not get it to install on another HDD in the machine (everything seemed to be good but it just would not happen), I still have the same freezing problem so now I would like to try something like testing my RAM or my video card or something like this.
I would appreciate it a great deal if someone could walk me through it or direct me to a thread I can follow.

Thank you.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
First, you need to disconnect all other hard drive except the one you want to install Windows 7 to. For some reason, Windows 7 get persnickety about having more than one hard drive present during install.

Make sure your DVD drive is set as the first boot device and your hard drive as the second device.

Download MemTest'86 and burn the CD ISO to a blank CD-RW disc and boot to it and let it run for at least a few hours. Usually if it's bad RAM it will show up immediately, but sometimes it may take a while. If everything is good with MemTest you should be able to install with no issues.

Reaction score
Hi Nibiru thanks for the reply.
I will get on this as soon as possible then post back here to let you know how it went.

Reaction score
I have 4 internal hard rives, one had Vista and still does on it. I had no problem doing a clean install of W7 with all 4 drives connected, W7 does cause problems at times if Hard discs have more than a single partition on them

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I have 4 internal hard rives, one had Vista and still does on it. I had no problem doing a clean install of W7 with all 4 drives connected, W7 does cause problems at times if Hard discs have more than a single partition on them
Sir, I am sure that is the case for you, but in EVERY instance I've had I have found it's just better to unplug the extra drives until the OS has been installed.

Reaction score
Another reason I had to keep them connected, the new install of W7 see my Vista installation because my W7 is a update version.
I agree all USB dives and or equipment should be disconnected during installation.
In EVERY instance of any OS installation I have done I have never disconnected internal drives.

Ask a Question