SOLVED Reading Hotmail account messages

Reaction score
On using my laptop for my accessing my Windows Live Mail to read my Hotmail all incoming e-mail are in the form of a link instead of icons - sometimes not even links are displayed - especially when I am looking for a job and an e-mail is sent where I am suppose to click on a link to open the job description and I cannot do that.
Up until a few days ago my e-mail showed incons I could click on and now all it shows is links and I don't want the links - I want the incons - just don't know what has happened. I have tried numerous times to do the http://windowslivehelp.com/solution.aspx?solutionid=3c7c3338-369e-4220-b29d-71ce660fe5a0 and it changes nothing.
My husband just built me a new desktop and I can see all of my icons/links perfectly in Windows Live Mail. Using my laptop, I still cannot even after optimizing IE8.
Is there a way I can allow you to access to my Hotmail account or can I somehow shoot you a picture of one of my e-mails or forward one of my e-mails to you so you will see what I am talking about? This is so frustrating. I receive e-mails about jobs and none of the links are showing in order to click on the job opening - all it shows are the words. I really need some serious help on this as I am in the middle of looking for a job and get e-mail alerts everyday which is doing me no good now.

Below is an example of one of my job alerts which should be full of links and, as you can see, there are only words on the page. I hope this works:

My Job Alert My Job Alert

SEARCH JOBS UPDATE RESUME

Lynda [last name removed],

Listed below are the new job opportunities that match your job search criteria. Please take a moment to review and apply to any that are of interest to you.

Sponsored Message

Make a Career from Design
Free information on becoming a Graphic Designer
Click Here>>

New Job Opportunities

Get Paid To Take Surveys
Vindale Research
Knoxville TN
View | Share | Apply
Receptionist #twitter_bookmarklet { margin:10px 0 0 5px; width:2
SunBridge
Harriman TN
View
Receptionist
SunBridge Healthcare
Harriman TN
View

AVON Independent Sales Representative
Avon
Knoxville TN
View

Receptionist Administrative Assistant
Randstad
Knoxville TN
View

Click here to edit your Job Search Alert.

Last edited by a moderator:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Puddytat, it is likely a browser setting or browser add-in (such as an ad-blocker) or it could be a hotmail setting if that setting is stored as a cookie on your local machine.

Are you using IE8 on both machines? On the laptop what you might do to rule out an add-in/ad blocker etc is find the option in your start menu for "Internet Explorer (no add-ons)" and try your hotmail account using that. The easiest way to find that option may be to simply type "No add-ons" in the Start-search.

If that doesn't make a difference then consider installing CCleaner and have it clear out your cookies; cookies can hold settings for specific websites as opposed to IE settings. CCleaner is free and a link for it can be found in our Freeware DB.

Besides ad-blockers, anti-virus software can also have an effect. Are you using the same anti-virus protection on both machines?

NOTE: I have deleted your duplicate thread, one is enough and if it happens to be in the wrong category a mod will just move it. Also there was some confusion as to whether you were spamming jobs and so you were temporarily removed. Upon closer inspection it is simply detail to a hotmail issue so you have been reinstated. We try to be vigilant because we get a significant amount of spam attempts but we apologize for the confusion.

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You could also use Windows Liove mail as a standalone desktop function.. You merely put in the hotmail address as another account and it will automatically fetch it for you. It does mean opening Windows live Mail, of course, instead of working through a browser.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
puddytat, is there any way you could take a screenshot from your desktop and another from your laptop and attach them here so we can see them (use the go advanced button and attach the pictures via the paperclip icon)

Reaction score
I have IE8 on both machines. I have CCleaner and love it.

I did notice something though - if I go down to my taskbar to my Windows Live Mail and click on it - it opens directly to my Hotmail account and that is where I cannot see icons or links. BUT - if I go to www.msn.com and log on to my Hotmail account and open my e-mails they are displayed correctly showing the icons and links. I am going to try and attach a copy of my msn.com hotmail so you can see the pictures, etc.

[mod note: rest of email removed]

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
What I had hoped for was a screenshot of your screen because when you attach the email we do see the links but cannot see the icons you are referring to.

I personally always go to www.hotmail.com to log in and so I have not used the Windows Live Mail but I suspect it is a Live Mail setting to display as text or something of that nature. Hopefully someone familiar with the Live Mail Settings will respond.

Reaction score
I do not know how to do a screenshot. I know how to do a Print Screen from my keyboard, but not how to do a screenshot. Could you please tell me how and I will try it? Thank you.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I have been a Live mail user for some time, but am unable to assist with this one.
This confuses me
"if I go down to my taskbar to my Windows Live Mail and click on it - it opens directly to my Hotmail account and that is where I cannot see icons or links. "

I don't understand how it can open Hotmail! It should open Windows Live mail, which will fetch any hotmail message and display it in Live mail.
I,ve attached a small movie to show the sequence. Rather poor but perhaps illustrates enough

View attachment mail.rar

I don't use the mail program from my browser, so cannot try to simulate the problem. But, for what it's worth, the link in your first post does say that the IE optimisation "fix" does not work in Windows 7

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I thought, it is an application rather than a web browser at all; it basically uses hotmail "like" a pop server.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Windows 7 has a "snipping tool" which is fairly easy to use...

First open the Windows Live Mail window that is not working as you hope.

Then go to Start Orb and in the search box start typing "snipping" ... it should pop up at the top of the list and when you start it you should see ...
Snipping-Set.jpg

Click New and then if you pick the "window snip" option you can click on your Windows Live Mail window and when you select it it should take a screenshot and display it in a viewer window.

At that point you can give the screenshot a name and save it as a jpeg file to your pictures library.

At this point maybe you would also take a screenshot of the hotmail option that does work like you want so we can compare.

Then you come here and choose the "advanced" option in reply so that you see extra icons.

You want the little paperclip icon to open an attachments window. There you click browse and find the picture you saved. Click the second browse button and choose picture #2. Then Click Upload and once uploaded you can close the little attachments window.

If you do nothing the pictures you uploaded will be included under everything you write in your post. If you want to control where the picture is displayed you can position your cursor where you want the picture and then hit the triangular carat beside the paperclip and select the picture from the list and you will see ...
[ ATTACH]####[/ ATTACH].

Last edited:
Reaction score
windows live hotmail

okay I have tried to attach 2 examples. the lst one is an e-mail coming from msn.com/hotmail and shows all of my icons and links called HGTV1. the 2nd one is going through windows live mail/hotmail showing an e-mail called HGTV2. Up until a couple of weeks ago I could go straight to windows live mail/hotmail and i could view everything just fine, all icons, all links, all pictures, etc. and now all I get are words. hope these shots come through. i tried to use the snip tool as you suggested.
hgvt.jpg hgtv2.jpg

[Mod Note: I have blurred portions of the pictures to protect the posters identity]

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
OK, so in the second photo (in WLMail) it should show the patio furniture etc and links etc and it doesn't do that any more. OK, I suspect this has to do with the WLMail settings. Likely something to block pictures and links.

Also, do you normally have another column down the left with folder icons (Like Inbox , etc), is that the other thing you want back?

I do not use WLMail but we have some members that do and hopefully they can tell you where to find the settings and which ones to adjust.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Sorry. I still cannot help. Both my Live Mail and Hotmail windows have no resemblance to yours. I did enable my Email in IE, to see if I could get a clue, but no change.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
puddytat, the icon above "junk" in WLMail may offer something like "options" or "settings" and if you can find that settings screen and take another screenshot of your options then we might be able to suggest what settings you should change.

And there is still the hope that someone comes along who uses Live Mail as you do and has more info.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
A question. This is Windows live mail 2011?

Reaction score
Yes I normally have another column down the left with folder icons (Like Inbox , etc) and they are still there. I wonder if it would help if I delete my Hotmail account in WLM, delete WLM completely, reinstall it and then add my Hotmail account back in? And yes I am using 2011 WLM. thanks for everyone trying to help me figure this out. I really the looks of WLM up until this problem hit.

Reaction score
I even tried to do a System Restore and went back about a month and that did no good. Still so crazy that my desktop WLM is okay, but my laptop has been wacky with WLM.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I still cannot figure why your Email picture is so different top mine, but, anyway, Under Options, - Safety Options - Security Tab. See if you have Unticked, under download images, both squares

Reaction score
wlm

Here is a shot of my safety options. As you can see I have them check-marked. Would it help to show any more of my options to make sure I have the correct ones checked and unchecked?

Attachments

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
As I said, UNcheck the 2 squares under download images.

Ask a Question