DVD/CD Drive not Reading any disks

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

My Disk drive will not read any disks it is a Optaric DVD RW AD-7203S ATA (I have had it a few years) it had been working fine up until recently i was just wondering if you could help.

Thank you.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
DVD drives go bad. They are normally easy to replace.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
While I agree they do (and will) go bad (eventually), optical drives also get full of dust over time as the case fans draw in air (and dust) through the optical drive's openings and over time, that dust can interfere with the laser lens. A quick blast of compressed air can often correct the problem.

Also, data and power cables can come loose too. Sadly, you never said if the drive is being recognized in Device Manager or the BIOS.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You say "any" disks. Does that include disks you created/burned with that drive?

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Well, the fact it is recognized says it is getting power and the data cable is attached. The fact it does not work with ANY disk suggests it is not a codec issue. So, if not full of dust, then a new drive is likely the right fix anyway.

Reaction score
If you can't afford a new drive then use a optical drive cleaner. It will clean the lens of the drive. Also make sure that the disk must be scratchless.

Ask a Question