Read only protection / Standard editor

Reaction score
Windows 7 somehow protects the folder Program Files. This will not allow applications to write files in there, which is pretty bad for developing. Is there a way to change it? If I select the whole folder and remove the "read only" tick, it removes it from the files but not from the folders.

Is it possible to replace notepad with notepad++? I could assign *.txt to it but if I want to edit batch files using the context menu -> edit, notepad will still be used.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Um... For the folders, try taking ownership og f them:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...ership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/

And for the dedault editor, Notepad ++ should automaticly add an entry to the context menu. Click on Edit when you want to use Notepad, and "Edit with Notepad++" when you want to edit with Notepad++.
I've attached an image.

You can assign .txt to Notepad++ in the default manager.

Attachments

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
If you right click any .txt file. There should be an option in th edrop down "open with"
Click this and if Notepad++ is not in the list, select the further option at the bottom "Choose Default Program"
Make sure you have the small square checked at the bottom "Always use..etc, and browse to the notepad++ .exe program and select it. From then, .txt files will always open with notepad++

Ask a Question