PSU still on after shutdown

Reaction score
Hi,

Have got 64bit HP of Win7. I did a clean install. everything appears to be running fine.

Unfortunately, whenever i shut down my pc, i don't whether it's everything or just the psu fan but there is still power on!!

Any ideas why the the pc won't power off??

Cheers

Stuey

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Does the PSU turn off if you leave it along for a few mins? Also, what happens when you turn the PC back on?

It could be a faulty PSU, but if this happened only when you upgraded the OS then it seems too much of a co-incidence. Can you try the following to see if this helps (it has done the trick for some other users):

"Click “Start”, on “Computer” click right mouse button and select “Properties”, click “Device Manager”, select “IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controllers” group, only contains one device called “VIA 1394 OHCI Compilant Host Controller” on that click right mouse button and select “Properties”, select “Power Management” tab, and finally check the “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power” box.

Reaction score
Hi Ian,

Thanks for replying.

I haven't left it long enought to answer your first point.... I generally hold the power button in until it switchs off. When i turn it back on, it loads fine.

The only difference at the moment is that i have to install expressgate for windows 7 (asus p5kpl/1600 mobo). Maybe a bios update??

I will try the device manager tingy when i get back from work tonight and let you know.

Cheers

Stuey

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Good luck - hopefully that solution posted above will do the trick, but if not and we'll work on it. If you can down the PC off by holding down the power button for 4 seconds then it doesn't sound like a PSU problem (which is good news).

rak

Reaction score
I think, by default, the power options do not switch off by holding down the power Button. I could be wrong, but have no way to chech it without reinstalling. You may be going into standbye, hibernate or sleep mode. I am almost certain it is the last (sleep)??

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi Stueyuk

Check windows power management settings and ACPI power settings in the bios - you could be going into standby or hibernation/sleep instead of shutting down.

Reaction score
Does the PSU turn off if you leave it along for a few mins? Also, what happens when you turn the PC back on?

It could be a faulty PSU, but if this happened only when you upgraded the OS then it seems too much of a co-incidence. Can you try the following to see if this helps (it has done the trick for some other users):

Hi Ian,

Thanks very much for the tip, it worked a treat!!! Just one question.... what have allowed to shut down to save power??? looool

As for the bios, i checked last night and the power settings are as follows:

Suspend Mode [AUTO]
ACPI 2.0 SUPPORT [DISABLED]
ACPI APIC SUPPORT [ENABLED]

Does this look okay??? Afraid i'm not that good with bios stuff....

Cheers

Stuey

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not sure why it worked either - seems odd that an option to save power will use more ;) IEEE 1394 is more commonly known as FireWire, so why this would cause the system to hang on shutdown I do not know - at least it works now though :) It could actually be because you have ACPI 2.0 support disabled.

There's more on this option here: http://www.techarp.com/showFreeBOG.aspx?lang=0&bogno=381

Reaction score
Crazy but that's computers for you!!!!!!

From reading that arricle on ACPI i will go in and enable it tonight seeing as it recommends it be done....

Thanks again for your help mate, was well chuffed it shutdown for once!! lol

Ask a Question