SOLVED Pin shortcut to Drive D on taskbar?

Reaction score
Adding shrotcuts was so easy in XP. Yes I can "pin" programs to taskbar but I cant figure how to pin a shortcut to Drive D yet. Any ideas?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Do you already have one iteration of Windows Explorer pinned to your taskbar? If so then simply open Windows Explorer and go to D:\ and left-click and hold it and drag and drop it on the Windows Explorer icon in the taskbar. Now when you Right-click the windows explorer icon in the taskbar you will see D:\ pinned there and you select it. You can have multiple choices in the right-click menu but I was unable to create 2 separate icon entries, one for "windows explorer C:\" and one for "windows explorer D:\"; they always merge into right-click selections under "windows explorer".

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
This is what you need to do.
Right click the desktop and select "New" and then "Text Document"
Rename the shortcut "Drive-x.exe" The x can be your choice. C is the obvious, and then subsequent shortcuts must be different. (D E etc)
Drag it to the taskbar and pin it.
Delete the desktop shortcut.
Right click the taskbar icon, and right click the drive-x entry. Select "Properties"
The target will appear as, for example, Users\Administrator\Desktop\drive-c.exe
Delete all in the Target, and "run" field, to just the basic drive (C:\)

Ready to go!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
See, piece of cake! I'm sure it was just like that in XP wasn't it? :lol:

Reaction score
thanx both trainable man and davehc. Tranableman that worked. to davehc, i already had a shortcut of D on the desktop. wow your way is kind complex, hehe

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Drag it to the taskbar and pin it.
Yes it starts on the desktop but ends up pinned to the taskbar.

If I understand it correctly, Dave's method keeps the system from seeing them both as "windows explorer" and just merging them. If my understanding is correct then his method makes it possible to actually have separate icons in the taskbar. So yes it's complex but some people may prefer those results.

You use whichever method suits your needs and we're glad we could help.

EDIT: I have tried it and my understanding was correct, it does in fact create a separate entry on the taskbar.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Im sorry davehc, I lost you after "Drag it to the taskbar and pin it". If I drag it to the taskbar I get "Pin to taskbar" message and it does get "pinned" but If I right click on it I dont get any "Properties" option. All I get is Drive X and Unpin. What am I doing wrong?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
When you right-click on it in the taskbar there should be 2 options:
Drive D
Unpin this program from taskbar

You need to mouse down to the "Drive D" and right-click again and at the bottom of that list will be the properties.

Also for me it is Target and Start In (run is just run windowed or full screen etc). Plus the C:\ is an example; you need to use the drive where you want it to open, so I believe in your case it is D:\

Last edited:
Reaction score
Oh I see now. and I DO really see it. Yes NOW I was able to fix it.
That's the problem with a lot of "How tos" and articles and help boards, they skip steps they think are obvious but are NOT and the people trying to follow them are left wondering if they are morons.
On to the next problem then! thank you much!

Reaction score
In the same way you also can pin other things as separate icon to taskbar:
  • Documents (Word files, Excel files, PDF files)
  • VBS scripts
  • Network folders

Ask a Question