SOLVED PC Activity Desktop Graphic

Reaction score
Hi - On my pc tower there is a small light (near the lighted power button) that flickers and I believe this indicates that there is pc 'activity' going on. However, my computer tower is out-of-view and there are times when I question if my machine has halted (I am aware of those cpu/ram/network etc. activity graphs and meters and are way to big and fancy). So, I seek a small, teeny-weeny, lightweight desktop dynamic icon/app (10x10 pixel?) that emulates that activity light. Is there anything out there?

-thnx

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Just some follow-up: that activity light normally indicates more specifically "Hard drive" activity going on (read/write), it usually has nothing to do with the CPU, etc

Reaction score
Just some follow-up: that activity light normally indicates more specifically "Hard drive" activity going on (read/write), it usually has nothing to do with the CPU, etc
so, this means that hard drive activity can occur with no input/signal/whatever from the CPU?

(hmmm, I am aware that the hd spins the entire time the computer is on, but I doubt that just 'spinning' indicates the 'activity' in question)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The HD has a cache and some built-in intelligence so it can be loading the cache in anticipation of the next read or storing info that has been loaded there for write. I'm not saying there isn't CPU activity going on, merely that the light is based on HD activity, and by activity it doesn't mean just spinning.

Reaction score
can there be cpu activity w/o hd activity? if so, that light will not respond, correct?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Supposedly yes but you never know if the computer is indexing the HD in the background, etc. Typically CPU/RAM/and HD access go pretty much hand-in-hand, there is so much interaction. I was just trying to clarify; on the mobo the light is normally connected to two pins labeled HD.

Reaction score
^
thnx, I appreciate the info and your time for explaining it to me. This indicator has been on every machine since the PC stone-age. Why? For the reason I cite in my initial post?

Ask a Question