Partitioning Questions

Reaction score
Hi friends,

I am having the same issue the discussion which was going here , like un-able to make 5th partition.. looks like the conclusion says we CANNOT make further partition , but not sure if something mean in the discussion.

Current status of partitions on my HP dv6t laptop :-
(C:) - 220.25GB
HP_TOOLS - 99MB
RECOVERY(D:) - 28.01GB
SYSYTEM - 199MB

Unallocated - 217.18GB --> initially i tried to shrink some space from c: drive ,

but unable to make new name means volume to it - throwing warning in the final stage which making frightened to move further ( please check attached screen shot)

So after reading this blog.. i felt like its NOT safe to make new 5th partition..

My doubts / question here :-

1) How to include ( combine) unallocated 217.18GB back to C: drive ?

2) I would like write the Recovery(D) data to DVDs , how to write/burn to dvds ?

Can someone help me here ??
Let me know if anything is not clear in my words , i can explain more..
Thanks alot in advance

-Kiran

Attachments

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I moved your post into a thread of its own so people will find it more easily.

I am having the same issue the discussion which was going here , like un-able to make 5th partition.. looks like the conclusion says we CANNOT make further partition , but not sure if something mean in the discussion.
Yes and no. A hard drive can have up to four partitions, if those partitions are all "primary" partitions. It can, however, have more than four IF one of the four partitions is an extended partition. An extended partition contains what we call "logical volumes." For all intents and purposes, they're just like regular partitions, ie. Windows can assign drive letters to them and so forth. An extended partition itself is not a partition in the sense that it cannot be mapped to a drive letter, all it does is contains logical volumes.

The problem with your current setup is that all four partitions are primaries, so you cannot add new partitions without erasing one of them and turning it into an extended partition, and then creating logical volumes inside it.

You can't get rid of the "System" partition without a Windows reinstall. I am hesitant to recommend removal of the Recovery partition...but you're low on options here. I don't know what the HP Tools partition contains; probably the usual crapware the OEMs like to install on fresh Windows installations. If I were you, I'd probably burn the Recovery partition to DVDs using HP's utilities (usually you can press a specific key during boot to enter the Recovery feature, from which you can burn recovery discs), and then remove the partition entirely. At this point you'll have only three primary partitions and should be able to create an extended one.

I'd use something more robust than Windows' Disk Management for this.
1) How to include ( combine) unallocated 217.18GB back to C: drive ?
There might be a "merge" feature in Disk Management; I always use Paragon, not Windows, for my partition purposes, so I can't say for sure.

Reaction score
Thanks for you're prompt reply on my issue..

So i understood that unless i remove some partition from existing 4 primary partitions , i can't make new partition - well fine!

On you're words/suggest , even i would like to "BURN" recovery partition to DVDs..

The "Recovery" partition contains total of 28.01GB ..

So usually if i have some data on drive , then I burn it using dvd writer.. , but in this case the same way have apply or do we have any special type?

Can you help me how to burn it ? steps ?

Thanks for you're help.

-Kiran

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
kiran, I don't know about the "HP Tools", funny thing today, when I was at the Toyota dealership getting a timing belt installed, and was using their guest internet, I noticed an "HP Tools" as an internet connection. What a coincidence.

I have an HP myself, a little over a year old, but I don't have that partition on here, must be something new. So I'm going to say leave it alone.

Anyway, do you have your manual to your computer? Inside of it, there are instructions on making recovery discs. You probably can type "Burn Recovery Discs" into your Start Menu, w/o the quotes, and the option will appear. You will need a 5 pack of DVD-R discs for the job. Use brand name discs, such as Sony or Memorex. Although it probably will only take 3 of them, sometimes you can get a bum disc, and the program checks the disc before writing it. I had to trash one myself. Also, you need to do this before anything goes wrong with the install, as soon as possible after purchase.

Once you have the recovery discs burned, a 90 minute job, AND fully backup your computer (see Macrium Reflect in the Free Software Database on this forum), you can delete the recovery partition.

Now tell me, just what do you plan to install there? If it's a Linux OS, you'll need to make a main or / partition & a swap partition equal to your installed RAM? Both need to be logical partitions. If it's a Windows Data partition, I haven't created one, so I don't know how to do it.

Let me know if I've helped you.

Best of Luck,
Cat

Last edited:
Reaction score
Catilley -

I tried typing "Burn Recovery Discs" in startup menu , but didn't showed any results..

I have another quick question/doubt - Can i combine the un-allocated space to another drive partition ?

For example ,
my C drive occupying 220GB , and i have 200GB as un-allocated space where initially i have shrink-ed from C drive only... so now if i want to put this 200gb back to C drive ,is it possible ? how ?

Thanks.
Kiran

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Have you read your owner's manual closely, as to your recovery discs? The instructions should be there, if not visit the web site of the OEM, or call Customer Service, a number should be in the manual.

As to your drive, type in "Create and Format hard disk partitions", click onto it, you'll see a chart. If you need to simply add space back to the drive, right click the space that you want to enlarge, and select "Extend Volume", then use as much of it as you want to add back.

Cat

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ok got clarified regarding extended volume - thanks

Yeah - i haven't read the manual yet , i'll go thru it first and come back to you incase if i have doubts regarding partition/recovery disc.

Thanks
Kiran

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
As to burning recovery discs, type in "Recovery Disc Creation" into your Start Menu. If that option (or similar wording) appears, click onto it. From there, you can build this recovery disc set. Both mine and your computers are HP, and recent, so there shouldn't be much difference. Power2Go is the burning program that does these kind of tasks on mine.

I've probably already mentioned that it'll take at least 90 minutes, so make sure that you have adequate time to finish the job. And have at least a 5 pack of brand name DVD-R discs. Sony or Memorex will do, avoid cheap brands for this task, they'll have to last. You'll probably only need three, but sometimes you get a bum disc, it's best to have an extra, than not enough. Use a felt tip pen and number the discs as they complete, and put each into a sleeve by itself. Many 5 packs comes with anti-static plastic cases, these are perfect for storing them in.

Just make sure that each disc (and sleeve/case) is numbered, and put them in a safe place, I have mine stored in a small cardboard box (one that a USB wi-fi adapter came in), inside of my personal fireproof safe. Once you've made these discs, you can't make them again, so this is why you don't want to misplace them, or a kid could think that they're video DVD's, if they're laying around.

If you need further assistance with this task, let us know.

Cat

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Catilley ,

Finally i am able burn the recovery drive to DVDs - i'm good.

Now i just want to know couple of clarification here -

1. Was it normal deleting the drive by right-click>>delete or any other ?

2. Can i shrink more from C drive after deleting recovery drive , because c drive occupying 200GB which i dont want.. just want to put 100GB - so was it possible to shrink from it ?

Please let me know for any questions / doubts..

Thanks for your help.

Thanks
Kiran

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
What you need to do prior to shrinking the drive, is a complete defrag first. Download a free (30 day) trial of Perfect Disk Pro, you have the option to "Consolidate Free Space", this allowed me to get my "C" drive down to 160GB, before, it would go no further than 250GB.

Perfect Disk can be found at:

http://www.raxco.com/

Take advantage of the full 30 days that you have with this program, you'll notice a great advantage in your drive seek times. Plus, use the "boot time" defrag for your system and page files, these cannot be defragged with convential tools.

Then, go to the Free Software Database on this forum, and download Mini Tool Partition Wizard Home Edition, with that tool, you can do all of the shrinking/expanding/creating partitions that you need. Remember, you need to stay below 4 primaries, or you cannot create additional partitions at all.

And remember, backup before doing anything with your partitions.

Good Luck.

Cat

Reaction score
you have the option to "Consolidate Free Space", this allowed me to get my "C" drive down to 160GB, before, it would go no further than 250GB.
For the record my OS partition is 35GB with 18GB free. Since I am installed to a 35GB and only using half the space, 160GB seems extremely huge. I have Office 2010, and Nero 10 installed to the OS partition. Anything else that would require allot of space such as games, would be installed to my data partition.

C-Drv_properties.png

Reaction score
Hi,

Currently my C drive occupying 220GB , actually when i got new laptop.. it was like this.. and i havent yet shrink out space..

So now i want my c drive to have max of 50-100GB only,,

one question - if i shrink space out from c drive , nothing going to affect my OS right ?

Thanks
Kiran

Reaction score
one question - if i shrink space out from c drive , nothing going to affect my OS right?
Thats correct.

Download Partition Wizard Home that catilley mentioned and you will have advanced easy to use tools needed to do the job.

If you feel more comfortable changing the OS partition size while not logged in, the application has the ability to create a Partitioning Boot CD.

Reaction score
Thanks

And do i need to download which type among below ones ?

Home
Professional
Server
Enterprise

Thanks
Kiran

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Thanks

And do i need to download which type among below ones ?

Home
Professional
Server
Enterprise

Thanks
Kiran
If you're referring to Perfect Disk, the Home or Pro version will work for you. I have the paid version of Perfect Disc 11 Pro.

You do need to defrag that partition before shrinking, in order to reduce the size down as much as possible.

Cat

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
For the record my OS partition is 35GB with 18GB free. Since I am installed to a 35GB and only using half the space, 160GB seems extremely huge. I have Office 2010, and Nero 10 installed to the OS partition. Anything else that would require allot of space such as games, would be installed to my data partition.

View attachment 2661
I didn't have a choice as to the size of the partition when installing the new 1TB drive, and using my recovery discs to reinstall the OS. It completely formatted the drive, created the usual 100MB system partition, used the most part for the "C" partition, and reinstalled my recovery partition.

It's kinda tough to shrink 900GB to less than 100GB. At first, all I could get it down to was 250GB, with Mini Tool Partition Wizard. But then, I used Perfect Disk's "Consolidate Free Space" option, and was able to shave 90GB from that. That also allowed me to expand my data partition to a little over 600GB, where at least a dozen VM's resides. I also have another 100GB partition, labled "Windows OS Discs", where my TechNet install discs resides at.

Lesson learned. The next time I have to reinstall, I'll use the 320GB drive that came with the computer, that will allow for further shrinking. Then I'll back that up, and install it on the drive that I intend for it to be on.

Cat

Last edited:
Reaction score
I feel your pain Cat, especially these last few days when my own O/S has been giving me grief.
It's in weak moments like this I look to the dark side of a new Mac and it's automatic 'time machine' backup.

Ask a Question