SOLVED HD partitioning

Reaction score
My 1 TB HD is now split with a "C" & "G".
"C" (250GB) is the OS "only" with "G" containing all my files like MS office, pictures movies etc, etc . I have a separate backup HD out side of my PC. I want to transfer all backup files to my G drive as the backup "R" keeps telling me it is going to fail so I want to move a the data off it and run a tool to fix it so it will stop popping up with the I'm going to fail message. This is has been going on for a long time (months) so I don’t think it is going to fail, the error message is

Windows has detected a HD problem
Start the B/U process
Ask me again later
Don't ask me again

I have the tool from Seagate to run to see if I can fix it. Can I make a new partition now and then remove it after I fix the backup? I only need 300GB to be able to transfer all the backup to the 1 TB drive, The "G" partition still has 473 GB free or would it be better to just create a new file (Folder) in the "G" partition and do it that way? Would be much simpler I suppose and still do what I need to do.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If the R: drive contains Windows backup files I do not believe you can simply copy them but you could use a cloning program. You would need to shrink G: & create a new 300GB drive then clone R: to that new drive.

Reaction score
This R drive is used to store my Files, not any operating programs. It is housed in a case separate from my pc and is only on when I need to backup something. Like any backup drive I use it to store all my Word, Excel. My Pictures, Home videos & anything you would normally like to have a Backup of separate from the OS "C" drive. This backs up my Main drive files which are also on a separate partition "G" from Win 7. The main drive consists of a C 250gb and G 750gb which is only used fro storage of files. The ? is can I now add a another partition like say a Z drive of 300gb to move all the info from the backup R drive to the newly created partition and then when I move it back to the R backup, then can I remove the partition and give it back to the G drive where I took it from. The G drive has over 400gb that is unused now so there is more than enough free space. Hope that clears up my question.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The most likely answer is yes but to be sure you will need to go to DISKMGMT.MSC, then right-click on G and shrink it. Then see if it will allow you to allocate the free space as a new partition. If it does then you are fine, simply format the new partition and assign it a drive letter.

Reaction score
Thank you for the information, I will give that a try and post a reply for the results if you are interested.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yes, please post your results as it may help the next person in a similar situation.

Reaction score
It worked, followed your instruction using DISKMGMTand made it a 300gb and formatted it and now have a new 300gb"P" drive. So the 1TB HD now had an F, G and a new P drive. I will load/copy all the files from the "R' backup drive the new "P" drive and then try to run the tool to fix the problem of the "R' drive always telling me it is going to fail so I should backup the drive before it does. Hopefully Segates program will fix that. Now once I do get the R drive fixed (I Hope) I will transfer the files back to it and reformat the 1TB so I can use it to backup all my files
and use the R for something else.

Thanks again for all the help

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I think it's what you mean but I want to be sure ... After you are done you only reformat the new P, if you reformat the whole 1TB drive you would loose your 2 old partitions info as well

Reaction score
Correct, I'm very careful when formatting anything having made that error years ago.

Ask a Question