Partitioning Problems, HELP ASAP

Reaction score
I am having major issues trying to partition my hard drive on Window 7! I am able to shrink each of the drives (there is already 4 partitions, a 138 gb, a 144gb, and 2 very small ones.)
Well when I try to make the unaccolated drive a "new simple volume", i go through all the steps, then at the end I get a screen that says something to the effect of :
" The operation you selected will convert the selected basic disk(s) to dynamic disk(s). If you convert the disk(s) to dynamic, you will not be able to start installed operating systems from any volume on the disk(s) (except the current boot volume). Are you sure you want to continue?"
I press continue then I get:
" There is not enough space available on the disk(s) to complete this operation."
I have tried different sizes of the partition, different types (Fat32 and NTFS), I definatly have the memory , so I am lost as to why it keeps telling me this and I am scouring the web looking for answers...

Reaction score
" The operation you selected will convert the selected basic disk(s) to dynamic disk(s). If you convert the disk(s) to dynamic, you will not be able to start installed operating systems from any volume on the disk(s) (except the current boot volume). Are you sure you want to continue?"
Word of caution, I did this once and crashed a healthy drive. I'm not sure exactly why but until I learn more about the process, I will never try that again. I tried everything I could think of to gain access to the drive. Before I knew it I had damaged the drive to the point where the system BIOS would not even recognize it.

I am not one to overclock. I had not had any problems out of the drive before hand. As soon as I made that selection to make a 5th primary drive the system crashed and I could not gain access to the drive again. So you tell me if it was a coincidence or if the command caused a drive failure.

Reaction score
Well I read in another forum that win 7 will only allow 4 partitions on a drive. Which explains why I am having the issue. So I will turn one of them into a new drive to set up dual boot. Should work

Reaction score
thank you!!! braderr!!

Well I read in another forum that win 7 will only allow 4 partitions on a drive. Which explains why I am having the issue. So I will turn one of them into a new drive to set up dual boot. Should work
thanks braderr!!!! my problem solve.. yess.. it's really useful!!!! i owe you onee!!

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Windows 7 will only allow 4 partitions on a hard drive if that hard drive is configured as an MBR drive. If it's configured as a GPT drive it can have more partitions on it, but you can't install Windows 7 on a GPT drive, those are only for storage purposes.

Last edited:
Reaction score
How did you solve problem?

thanks braderr!!!! my problem solve.. yess.. it's really useful!!!! i owe you onee!!
Any help how you managed to sort it out? I am still pondering whether or not to click 'yes' on the pop up message. I desperately still want to create a new partition on Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit. Any quick advise will help. I read a step by step guide but I find it inadequate because it doesn't specify the version of Win 7 the procedures relates to | http://bit.ly/azPfp7.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
nsikub,

Welcome to the forum.

Please could you tell us what you want to accomplish?
How many partitions do you have now and how many would you like to have?

Reaction score
nsikub,

Welcome to the forum.

Please could you tell us what you want to accomplish?
How many partitions do you have now and how many would you like to have?
I have 4 partitions in total 2 are visible (Local Disk + Recovery). The other 2 are hidden HP Tools and System boot. I want a 5th partition. I am using Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit. I have tried the Paragon Partition manager it says no free MBR slots remaining. I also tried Minitool Partition & Easeus partition manager still won't let me. Lastly, I tried the Windows Disk Management from control panel, but just as I was about to complete the partitioning process I got a warning message that I was about to convert the hard disk from physical to dynamic. I got uncomfortable and stopped. I hear Windows Disk Management [control panel] doesn't support Win 7 Home Premium, but the process seems to encourage the partitioning process quite okay. I just stopped myself because I didn't want to convert my physical hard disk to dynamic. Not sure what's next please help thanks.

--->> Exact warning message reads ”The operation you selected will convert the selected physical disk(s) into a dynamic disk(s). If you convert the disk(s) to dynamic you will not be able to start installed operating systems from any volume on the disk(s) (except the current boot volume). Are you sure you want to continue?”.

Last edited:

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I have 4 partitions in total 2 are visible (Local Disk + Recovery). The other 2 are hidden HP Tools and System boot. I want a 5th partition. I am using Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit. I have tried the Paragon Partition manager it says no free MBR slots remaining. I also tried Minitool Partition & Easeus partition manager still won't let me. Lastly, I tried the Windows Disk Management from control panel, but just as I was about to complete the partitioning process I got a warning message that I was about to convert the hard disk from physical to dynamic. I got uncomfortable and stopped. I hear Windows Disk Management [control panel] doesn't support Win 7 Home Premium, but the process seems to encourage the partitioning process quite okay. I just stopped myself because I didn't want to convert my physical hard disk to dynamic. Not sure what's next please help thanks.

--->> Exact warning message reads ”The operation you selected will convert the selected physical disk(s) into a dynamic disk(s). If you convert the disk(s) to dynamic you will not be able to start installed operating systems from any volume on the disk(s) (except the current boot volume). Are you sure you want to continue?”.
Did you upgrade to W7 or was it installed by HP? Is the computer under warranty?

Without knowing more, this is how I see it. I would advise against the dynamic disk option as clifford says. Create drive letters for the hidden parts. Take as much space as desired from the local part C and move it to the HP Tools part. This can be done with either Paragon or Easeus but may need to be done in steps if the partitions are not adjacent. Be willing to Nuke HP Tools and create a new NTFS part. Remove drive letters from the boot part and even the recovery part if desired. If you upgraded to W7 then you may not need the recovery partition either.

Use third party imaging tool such as Macrium Reflect or Easeus Todo to create Back-up images. Those 2 are free or Acronis for pay.

I think I hate HP for all their crapware. MHO!

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Windows 7 will only allow a maximum of 4 partitions per HDD.

There are three types of partitions: primary partitions, extended partitions and logical drives. A disk may contain up to four primary partitions (only one of which can be active), or three primary partitions and one extended partition. In the extended partition, the user can create logical drives (i.e. "simulate" several smaller-sized hard drives).

Basic disks and dynamic disks are two types of hard disk configurations in Windows. Most personal computers are configured as basic disks, which are the simplest to manage. Advanced users and IT professionals can make use of dynamic disks, which use multiple hard disks within a computer to manage data, usually for increased performance or reliability.

Reaction score
Did you upgrade to W7 or was it installed by HP? Is the computer under warranty?

Without knowing more, this is how I see it. I would advise against the dynamic disk option as clifford says. Create drive letters for the hidden parts. Take as much space as desired from the local part C and move it to the HP Tools part. This can be done with either Paragon or Easeus but may need to be done in steps if the partitions are not adjacent. Be willing to Nuke HP Tools and create a new NTFS part. Remove drive letters from the boot part and even the recovery part if desired. If you upgraded to W7 then you may not need the recovery partition either.

Use third party imaging tool such as Macrium Reflect or Easeus Todo to create Back-up images. Those 2 are free or Acronis for pay.

I think I hate HP for all their crapware. MHO!
Thanks yodap I am with you on their crapware!

I am using original HP install under warranty I guess I'll need the recovery part. As for nuking does that affect the BIOS settings under HP tools? It seems like a good idea if it won't affect performance.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Sadly I'm at a loss here. My only experience with trying to create a partition in a HP machine did not go well.That was 2 years ago on my niece's laptop. I accidentally nuked her C partition while trying to create another partition. As luck would have it, I had backed up all her data on an external and was able to access the recovery partition and do a clean reinstall of XP.

Here there are 2 things going against you. HP's need to create 2 primary partitions and W7 need to create the boot partition separately that is also a primary.

I will keep searching but there is much conflicting info about what HP tools actually does or is.

Proceed with caution and don't void your warranty. Consider an external for the purpose of creating a back-up image of the entire disk with the above mentioned imaging software.

Perhaps someone else will stumble across this thread with a solution.

Reaction score
Absolutely right I can sense conflict between W7 and HP where as partitions are concerned. Not in a rush at the moment will still investigate. You've made such a big difference thank you. I hope someone stumbles across this thread with a much needed solution.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
From what you've told us it seems you already have four primary partitions so that's the ball game. To have a fifth partition you need to erase one of the existing ones so you can use the space to create an extended partition, into which you can then create logical volumes.

My guess is that the recovery partition contains the OS reinstallation files, and the HP Tools partition the utilities to run the Recovery Manager and probably install the typical HP bloatware. Neither my late Acer laptop nor my current HP desktop had but one recovery partition.

What I would do if this were my machine is use the Recovery Manager to create a set of recovery DVDs that I could use to reinstall the OS, backup my documents, and then use Acronis/Paragon to erase all the partitions, and recreate just the ones I need. Which is probably just one for the system and one for backup/documents. But, considering that you'd need a backup disc for OS reinstall, and this might affect your warranty, I'm not recommending it. Just what I would personally do; I always kill those recovery partitions within days... I neither need nor want the crap they stuff in them.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Well said Core!
Exactly what I would do. But difficult to recommend to someone else.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Well said Core!
Exactly what I would do. But difficult to recommend to someone else.
What I would do, and some members would definitely disagree with me about this, is to WIPE the HDD in a low-level format and reinstall Windows 7 and setup partitions the way I want them.

However, most n00bs and others feel unsure or uncomfortable doing that. Some believe that the recovery partition is an absolute must have, I disagree and believe it's a waste of HDD space. Some feel that it "affects" the resale or trade-in value, but it doesn't, it's just that it is believed to be true but my own and others experiences have proven this to be false.

HP / Compaq have always done things a little screwy in my opinion and the way they setup the HDD is asinine. But then they're setting these systems up to work with the broadest common denominator of consumers, so if trouble ensues the consumer or their tech support people are able to rectify the problems rather quickly and easily, though maybe not always the best fix.

Reaction score
What I would do if this were my machine is use the Recovery Manager to create a set of recovery DVDs that I could use to reinstall the OS, backup my documents, and then use Acronis/Paragon to erase all the partitions, and recreate just the ones I need.
Looks like it's all pointing towards a clean install and repartitioning...I hate that I guess I have no choice will consider doing that when my warranty runs out.

Ask a Question