Outlook wont import outlook xp email

Reaction score
I have just installed win7 64bit
I previously ran winXP
I had set my outlook express email in folder to a seperate hard drive , just in case my C drive ever crashed , that way my emails were safe.

I did not know at the time that win7 did not come with an email. I installed Office 2007 and used Outlook, I instaled ok and is receiving emails.

But when I try to ipmort the emails from where outlook express stored then, Outlook fails. This is what I do.
In Outlook I go to Files/Import andExport
an import wizard export wizard opens and I am given several option but only three appear to apply to me.
1. Import from another program or file.
2. Import Internet Mail Account Settings.
3. Import Internet Mail and Addressess.
I select number 3 and Outlook Import tool box appears with two options
Eudora or Outlook Express. I choose OE./ImportMail and Import Address Book
I click next and have 3 options I select "Do not import duplicate items.
and click FINISH......Browse for Folder
I select the folder that housed my OE emails and click OK

All the three options Fail

Any Idears anyone ?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums Tony :). It's a bit of a pain to go from an old Outlook Express to Outlook 2007, as the import method you tried looks for an existing Outlook Express / Windows Live installation rather than the datafiles (using option #1).

Can you try downloading Windows Live Mail (http://download.live.com/wlmail) and then using the import option to get your old messages in to that, and then try the import from Outlook 2007 again and it should work. Essentially you are importing from file > WLMail > Outlook 2007.

Reaction score
Thank you

Thanks for the tip Ian
I will try it tomorrow and let you know if it worked , Its getting a bit late here in OZ

Reaction score
Hi Ian

I'm a bit new to this procedure and need a little guidance.
I downloaded from http://download.live.com/wlmail as you sugested and installed it.

Thats when my problem started I could not find the installed program "Windows Live Mail" to open it. I think it may be the envelope icon in the top menu bar, this is the address on the bar http://mail.live.com/ when I select it Outlook opens? I was expecting a differant email program.

But when I use the import / export on that the same thing happens.

Could you explain a simple step by step instruction for me as I would greatly appreciate it.

I am realy desperate now to get my OE emails into Outlook. How could Microsoft have made such a huge B**ls Up .
TIA

Reaction score
Ian
None of the simlar links at page bottom were any help.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Tony,

If you have installed Windows Live Mail, it should appear on your start menu under that name. If you type in "wlmail" in to the start menu search, does it appear on the list and can you open the application? The mail.live.com address is the webmail component and not something that can be used to help import messages.

Reaction score
Hi Ian

I found it wlmail, but I dont see an import or export function anywhere ?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ah, I know what that could be - the menu bar could be hidden :). Can you try pressing the "ALT" key on your keyboard, then go to File > Import > Messages.

Reaction score
Hi Ian
I am sending an image snap of wlmail.
There is no "File " on the menu bar before or after I press Alt ?

see image attached

Attachments

Reaction score
Show_menu_bar.jpg

Place a check beside "Show menu bar" or Press the "Alt key" to temporarily show the menu bar as Ian suggested.

Reaction score
Hi
I was a bit hasty in my last response. On selecting the Alt key
The "File" menu appeared.
I selected Import Messages/windows live mail/
I selected the folder "Outlook-Express-MailIn-Folder

In that folder were sub Folders where I kept the emails in relation to
the topic ( Example all my paypal invoices I kept in the paypal folder.)

The import went OK BUT when I went into windows Live Mail The main index folder was there (Outlook-Express-MailIn-Folder) and All the sub folders
but NO EMAILS were in them ??????????

what did I do wrong ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with importing Outlook Express.
Sorry, wish I could help. :(
Maybe Ian or one of the other guys will have an answer for you.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It sounds like you imported the files correctly, so I'm not sure why this would happen. Have you clicked on all of the folder/account's on the side menu?

Can you take another screenshot and I'll see if there is anything else that stands out?

Reaction score
This is why users prefer Thunderbird for email. There are litterally dozens of techniques and addons to import from previously installed/backed up/corrupted/crashed copies of outlook or TB.

Use your head, not your time. Thunderbird.

Reaction score
OK All is fixed

OK All is fixed
I got my emails from outlook express 32bit into Outlook64bit.
I thought this might help others with the same problem.
I took my computer to a techie Friend who sorted it.

I will probably mess up my explanation of what he did but I'll do my best In the hope someone will understand.
The first thing I did wrong was to place my emails IN into a seperate folder on another hard drive.

When I used windows Live mail (wlmail) to import the emails
it only imported the main index and sub folders as I explaind in an earler post. There were no emails in the folders.

(here we go with the techie stuff) apparently wlmail could not find the emails because it was looking for them WHERE THE SHOULD HAVE BEEN in the propper default folder that outlook express sets up when installed.

My friend located the path to where the inbox and out box were (deep in the user/microsoft settings. He copy and pasted them in to the correct folder where they should have been and copied all my emails to in inbox.
Then he did an import again from wlmail and and presto all my emails were imported into wlmail.
Then he did an export from wlmail to outlook and all my emails are now in Outlook 64bit
The moral of that story is NEVER put your emails in a folder on another drive. Hope that makes sence.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I understood everything you said. :D

wlmail has the option to change the default mail location also.

Ask a Question