Opera 11

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Been using the Beta version of 11 for a few weeks now. Just updated to the 11 full release. I like it, and it's fast!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I've been using it some, too. After using Firefox for so long, it's hard to change. But I do use it, and like what I see. And it's very fast.

Opera is a browser that will gain market share, whether it be with Windows or Linux, or both. It's too good of a browser to remain in last (or next to last) place.

Cat

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Opera has a lot of great ideas built into it, but it's missing the extensions I rely on, so I don't see it becoming my browser of choice. It's exciting to know there's a new version coming out, though. Will have to check it out.

Reaction score
opera has been my primary browser for a few years now..The version 11 is pretty neat. I really like the tab stacking..But am a bit disappointed with the extensions. The ad block extension is not working at all for me.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
The ad block extension is a little different than what we're used to in say Firefox or IE 8.

Here's one method that I've used:

Adblock+ For Opera 10 Browser

Though this isn’t a Adblock+ plugin or any addon but it sure does what you need. First of all, open your opera browser and open any webpage (this page) and follow the instructions. Now, click on Tools –> Advanced –> Blocked content which allows you to block webpage content from the website.

I also use the following which works quite well. Fanboy's Adblock List for Opera

Main List: urlfilter.ini save this file into: (Vista/7) C:\Users\"your username"\AppData\Roaming\Opera\Opera\

You have to select "View Hidden Folders" to see the AppData folder.

Fanboy's website URL: http://www.fanboy.co.nz/adblock/opera/

Last edited:
Reaction score
^^ Yeah I have tried the first tip..BTW i just tried another ad block extension today and that seems to work. The problem might have been with the first extension.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Yeap. The same applies to Google Chrome extensions: no restart.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Opera is a browser that will gain market share, whether it be with Windows or Linux, or both. It's too good of a browser to remain in last (or next to last) place.
It is going to have to come out of last place in terms of security first, before it can move anywhere. The below shows how Opera 10's security performance is a disgrace. And it has consistently performed poorly since 2009. Only time will tell if the supposed security enhancements in 11 are real, or just marketing fluff.

http://www.nsslabs.com/research/end...test-socially-engineered-malware-q3-2010.html

Reaction score
I'm starting to get tired of reading articles that suggest this software is the best and here is why. This software is the worst and here is why. No one can keep up with all the reports and trying to figure which one carries more weight is ridiculous. It would seem there never is a complete report. And no I'm not going to believe it because someone said it when there are others that say differently.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I am with you Cliff on the "this is better blah blah or this is worse blah blah".

Secunia PSI rates Opera browser very high in security so all of this is just confusing everyone. Besides if one is using a good AV or IS program there really is no need to worry then is there.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I'm starting to get tired of reading articles that suggest this software is the best and here is why. This software is the worst and here is why. No one can keep up with all the reports and trying to figure which one carries more weight is ridiculous. It would seem there never is a complete report. And no I'm not going to believe it because someone said it when there are others that say differently.
The problem is finding a report that is not biased and complete. Many report on just one aspect, then they call the winner or loser the best or the worst when in reality, the testing and reporting should be all inclusive. For example, there are several out there that focus merely on speed. Speed is certainly important but it is not the only thing that matters.

Microsoft, Mosaic, and I am sure all the others fund "studies" that magically report their products as best. They may clearly be biased where the funder says we want you to test these criteria with these parameters, or they may give the "appearance" of bias, which may be just as bad.

I like NSS Labs because they are independent. And while I think security trumps all, they don't test for speed, rendering accuracy, etc. I usually post the NSS Labs reports in response to FF fans who claim IE (which I've been using steadily since it surpassed Netscape) is insecure to slap those folks back to reality. That report, along with the Cenzic Web Application Security Trends Report which shows Firefox to be the most vulnerable tends to get them to be quiet. These reports show what I've been saying all along - the more popular alternative browsers become, the bigger the target they become, more vulnerabilities will be discovered, exposed, and exploited. Interestingly, that Cenzic report shows Opera to have the fewest vulnerabilities.

In any case, when it comes to browsers (and security), it is the user that is always the weakest link, not the browser of choice. The rest is just a matter of personal preference. Okay, speed may be an issue, but typically, were talking fractions of a second. I'm not in that big of a hurry.

Ask a Question