occasionally not loaded drivers

Reaction score
I have an HP Pavillion a4310f desktop computer, AMD Athlon IIX250 processor 3.00 GHz, 4GB RAM, 64 bit OS.
This computer is ~5 years old, perhaps is obsolete.

I checked the first 11 pages in this section without mention of this problem. I believe from my experience with chemical instrumentation that intermittent problems are hardest to solve.

I find that occasionally a hardware peripheral, e.g. my Lacie storage drive, will fail to be recognized by windows, even though it is listed in the DOS screen on boot up. It is not listed in Device Manager.
I have tried restarting with this drive on or off, but still not recognized.

That was last night.
Today, computer recognized the Lacie drive when powered on at boot. Previously, I could power on this drive after boot and it was recognized.

I run diagnostics regularly.

Any input on this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shintaro

Reaction score
Mate,

I had a look at the HP website that relates to your computer, HERE.

I was hoping for a BIOS update so that might improve the USB issue, but there wasn't one.

The only thing that I can suggest is to try different USB ports and / or open Device Manager and right click on your computer name and select "Scan for hardware changes".

Apart from that, it's time for a new computer. If you got 5 years out of your computer, that's a pretty good run.

But, most likely, your computer is simply too old to understand newer technology.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Are the devices that have issues always external USB devices? You might try a new cable and if possible a new connection point. Also, if you use a hub, please try not using it and see if the problem goes away. Hubs are often under-powered, even ones that come with an external power supply.

Reaction score
Mate,

I was hoping for a BIOS update so that might improve the USB issue, but there wasn't one.

The only thing that I can suggest is to try different USB ports and / or open Device Manager and right click on your computer name and select "Scan for hardware changes".

Apart from that, it's time for a new computer. If you got 5 years out of your computer, that's a pretty good run.

But, most likely, your computer is simply too old to understand newer technology.

I am living on retirement benefits. I never get a raise in salary, although the cost of a desktop computer and required software continue to rise, while their useful lifetime continues to fall.

It appears that I must be prepared to spend $1500 on a new desktop computer every 3.5-4 years.
I cannot afford to keep up with this "progress". Perhaps I should just "fade away".

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
From the description there is a good chance your problem is hardware related. Cables go bad. Power Surges short out components. USB connections get loose.

Did you even try removing hubs, plugging in to a different USB connector, or even a new cable?

Reaction score
I have posted previously on this website with regard to problems with my HP Pavilion a4310f desktop computer.
System is AMD Athlon II X2 250, processor 3.00GHz, 4GB RAM, 64 bit, 640GB HD, Win 7 Home.

I believe my HP Pavilion is failing to recognize drives for some reason. I have no idea on how to fix it, if indeed a fix is possible.

My problems seem to be with recognition of external hard drives; these are all usb 2.0. I have an internal storage drive which is always recognized.
I have a Zip 100 external drive which is always recognized.

The following drives are recognized on a sporadic basis:
-Lacie 1TB storage
-Verbatim 2TB backup
-Seagate Baracuda 2.0TB in a usb drive cage

I have tried 'System Restore' to no avail.

Since this problem occurs with hard drives from different manufacturers, it is most likely the problem is with my Windows 7 operating system. It appears that, unlike a motor vehicle, these devices have a much shorter lifetime.

Since 'refurbished' computers are virtually impossible to obtain, except by order over the Internet, I am faced with financing a new computer.

Any input on my situation would be greatly appreciated.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I merged your last post into this thread because it is all related. As I mentioned the issue is probably with your hardware but it may be something cheap such as the cable or replacing a USB hub.

If money is tight then I would be looking at simple things first, not a huge expense. So I don't recommend it until you try fixing things first but, just FYI, unless you need the very best equipment for intense new games, you can easily get a computer for $500.

Shintaro

Reaction score
It appears that I must be prepared to spend $1500 on a new desktop computer every 3.5-4 years.
I cannot afford to keep up with this "progress". Perhaps I should just "fade away".

Quite a few years ago now (20 years ago ;)), I used to buy old hardware that was maybe 2 or 3 years old, and put my own machines together.
I still do it this way, every now and then. I will get old hardware out of storage and put it together for a purpose. For example I had a Dual (2 physical CPU) AMD CPU GA-7DPXDW motherboard (Released 2002) that I wanted to use as a firewall. But the RAM was faulty. So I looked online and found 2 Gb registered DDR RAM for $16AUD (4Gb was $40 AUD).
Then the AGP card shat itself, no big deal, $15AUD online.

The point being that to buy a DELL or some other brand name is for people that want throw-aways. Brand name hardware is WYSIWYG (What-You-See-Is-What-You-Get). Basically not very upgradable.
Where as if you buy a GigaByte motherboard you can usually upgrade the CPU and RAM. So you might start on a low end CPU with minimal RAM and over time upgrade the RAM then the CPU.
Then when the CPU is the fastest for that motherboard, upgrade the motherboard and put the CPU in the new second-hand motherboard.

Build your own computer with parts, it doesn't have to look pretty, BUT you can upgrade pieces at a time.

At the end of the day, working on computers will keep you mind active in retirement and I dare say others will come to you for advice.

Reaction score
Mate,

It is unlikely that the problem is with 3 different external hard drives than with one Windows 7 OS.

Have tried changing ports, switched from USB hub, to no avail.

If I must purchase a new computer this soon, the "digital" format is grossly overrated. I would have better luck buying a used (previously owned) car.
If I must purchase a new computer, what features would you recommend I pay for this time?

Shintaro

Reaction score
Ok, this took me about 45 minutes on ebay, including the disruptions from my 3 year old daughter.
Trainableman or others might have some idea's that I missed.

Hardware released in 2010
CPU
INTEL I3 530 2.93GHz/4MB/1333MHz QUAD CORE CPU/PROCESSOR - SOCKET 1156 $41.75

**EDIT: CPU Fan $12
**EDIT:CPU heat sink paste $12

Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-H55M-S2 Motherboard Upgradable to i7-880 CPU $120

RAM(On the supported list for best compatibility)
KINGSTON 8GB 1333 DDR3 RAM SINGLE STICK KVR1333D3N9/8G DIM PC3 10600 CL9 240 PIN $115

Case
MicroATX Case Includes Power Supply $40

Hard Disk
You already have one
Monitor
You already have one
Sound
Motherboard has it Onboard - No additional card needed.
Video
Motherboard has it Onboard - No additional card needed.

CDROM Drive
You already have one.
Mouse & Keyboard
You already have those.

**EDIT: Total Cost= $340.75

How Do I remove the parts from the HP?
Document HERE

What is Microsoft's Minimum hardware requirements? - Taken from Microsoft page HERE.
  • 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor

• 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)

• 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

• DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

Last edited:

Shintaro

Reaction score
So this is just a quick look at what you could do next to upgrade the above computer.

Just looked on ebay for a CPU upgrade i7-880 CPU = $170 AUD (You would be able to use your existing CPU fan)

But I would suggest you look at a SSD, because that is where you will see a performance increase.
256 Gb SSD = $190 AUD

Or if you want to see what the SSD will do, just add a 30Gb SSD to your computer for around $45 AUD

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you have ruled out hardware problems then I suppose it could be a problem with some service not being started, an issue with your USB drivers, or registry corruption related to the handling of the devices.

You might consider completely reinstalling W7. It is extreme but not as extreme as buying a new machine, so it may be worth your time to try.

Reaction score
Dear Sir,

First I must thank you for the effort you have exerted in assistance with my problems.
Your data on refurbishing/building a computer is intriguing. Unfortunately, I am in declining health/handicapped and feel such a project would be impractical for me at this time. Also, there may be some difficulty in acquiring the parts you mentioned from my present location. I would have to depend on my Asus Eee Win XP netbook during this time.

I have the following drives:
1. Lacie 1TB external storage
2. WD 750GB internal storage-~full
3.Seagate 2TB in drive cage for mobility-currently functioning well with my ancient Dell Dimension 5150 desktop.
4. Verbatim 2TB external for backup of HP main drive (C:/)
5. A 4TB Seagate backup drive on the way. Must decide on backup software to choose-Clonezilla has been recommended.

My goal is to have external storage drives to circulate between present and future computers, some offsite, all USB 2.0. The drive in the cage can become internal, if it is to my advantage, in the future.

Just to update: I recently took the HP Pavilion a4310f in to a 'tech expert' for service. He supposedly reinstalled the OS, deleted most of my programs. I failed to realize (and he failed to inform me) that I had to reinstall all the updates (44) I had accumulated over the 4.5 years of this desktop's life. Did that today. There was one security update which failed to install. I will check on this now.

There is still some failure to recognize external drives. The Lacie was not recognized until I switched to the other front panel USB port (???). This seems to be temporary. There are two other external DVD drives--"Gearhead Mobile Slim", and "Toshiba MultiDrive" which previously worked here but no longer do. These intermittent problems are extremely aggravating.

I am thinking that your rec on OS reinstall may be my best option. Once I have the backup capability, I have a program "d-ban" to wipe the drive. plus windows "Recovery Disks" for reinstall. The "tech expert" was supposed to have done this already. Perhaps not enough attention paid on his part.

If that fails, obviously this HP Pavilion desktop computer is a "DUD" and requires replacement. May have to start saving the $500 for a basic replacement; HP used to be superior brand of products.

Again, I am most grateful for all the effort you have provided so far, and any further input would be grateful for me.

Sincerely,
Patrick Ahern

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Every time you move a USB connection it has to be recognized in the new slot, it is also possible some of your ports may be the older USB1.1. And of course ports go bad and cables go bad. If you do not have it that way already, I suggest you assign a sound to usb connect and a different sound to usb disconnect - then if you hear those sounds at odd times you know you have a bad cable or port, and if you plug something in and don't hear it then, again, ... problem.

If the OS was just reinstalled then hardware that doesn't work, like your DVD drives, is usually just because the drivers still need installed.

Ask a Question