SOLVED Downloaded fonts compressed or not?

Reaction score
I just downloaded a bunch of free fonts from fonts101.com.

They have an .exe tag at the end. Does that mean they are compressed files and I have to unzip them with WinZip, 7-Zip, or other software? If yes, which is a good/best software program? I don't mind paying for it. If no, can I just click and drag them from my download folder into my font folder?

I have a Toshiba running Windows7 and Kaspersky Internet Security 2012.

Thanks.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
An exe is a program. It could be a zip executable as you said or it might be some sort of install program. The easiest way to find out is to change the extension from .exe to .zip. Once it is a .zip file then double click on it and if it is just a zip executable it will open like a folder (because Windows 7 has a built-in zip handler). If it doesn't work then it is some other form of install program so you will need to rename it to .exe and run it.

The built-in zip functionality is fine for most users and if you want a bit more but still free then 7-zip and a few others are available; find links to them in our Freeware DB. Winzip is great, but it is paid software and I think most people would be satisfied with the free alternatives..

BTW, it is best not to go crazy installing too many fonts; best to pick what you need because more fonts use more system resources. Article.

Last edited:
Reaction score
ok, TrainableMan,

In my Download folder some of the fonts that I downloaded say "True Type font" in the file type column. Others say "Application" in the same column.

When I double click on the "Application" files I'm ushered through a process where I can run the file but I must also agree to install an application called "incredibar" and have the "incredibar toolbox" on my desktop, and have "incredibar" as my default homepage.

I don't really want to do any of that so will I just have to delete those files from my download folder and be satisfied with the TT fonts I was able to download??

What are my options??

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
A search on "incredibar removal" seems to indicate it is a virus or behaves much like a virus. I personally would just delete them and try to find a font elsewhere.

It's very common strategy to pretend to give away fonts or screensavers or wallpaper but actually give a virus or a real annoying toolbar.

Last edited:

Ask a Question