Not remembering view settings

Reaction score
Hiya,

Was wondering if anyone knows where the setting is that stops folders from remembering their settings.

In XP, you can set it so that should you change the view settings ie to thumbnails, all subsequent changes of folder will be in thumbnails, until you change it to another view.

Can't find it in Windows 7, and been looking all evening..

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Organize ... Folder and Search Options ... View tab ... click apply to all folders

W7 seems to maintain structures based on the type of files stored in them so songs seem to display one way, documents another, etc

Reaction score
No thats not it, thanks for your reply though

I don't want the same view I have chosen for all folders, I am looking to stop it from having any unique style for each folder, or any permanent changes.

It made it simple before, you just chose not to remember each folders view settings, so when you browsed you could change the view and move from folder to folder with the view you had chosen at the time.

If you didn't want that, you just used, remember settings.

If you wanted one view for everything, you do what you pointed me to.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Windows Explorer is very different in W7 than it was in XP, and not for the good in my opinion. You cannot use a slow double-click to rename folders on the left (you must right-click and choose rename). You can not scroll either side with the mouse scroll wheel unless you first click on that side to point focus there (unless you install a utility like KatMouse). You can't even set it to open to the folder that was last used.

I don't believe you can have it remember folders individually or not at all, you can't even drag files around into an order that pleases you - it will always sort.

You have 5 folder style choices: General Items, Documents, Pictures, Music, and Videos. To see these customize folder options I enabled the menu and then from the View Menu item select "Customize this folder".

Reaction score
If you change the folder's view with the icon below the search box in Explorer (the mouseover reads "change your view."), this setting is saved independently of your default folder view.

Ask a Question