SOLVED No transperency glass effects in x64 Home basic?

Reaction score
I recently bought a new laptop which came bundled with Windows 7 Home basic 64-bit, But i see there is no option for personalisation, and also there is no option for enabling transperency.. any hack/3rd party application that can help me?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I run 7 Home Basic (32 bit) myself on my notebook that's incapable of running the Aero effects. As I understand it, it (Home Basic) doesn't offer it, either. That's why it looks so good on my five year old Dell notebook, it's not trying to force an app to run that it's incapable of running.

Windows 7 Home Basic is the Windows 7 "lite" version that I wrote to Microsoft asking for, for older computers that Aero won't run on. The pages are very clear to read, with Home Premium or Pro, the screen is very blurry, making it very hard to read.

If you're looking for Aero, you need to move forward to Home Premium. You can do this by selecting "Windows Anytime Upgrade" in the Start Menu. This is the least expensive way to upgrade, plus you don't have to reinstall your OS. Every version of Windows 7, even Starter, has all of the other versions of 7 built in (except Enterprise). You have to click onto Windows Anytime Upgrade, your options (and prices) will be displayed.

Once you purchase the key, you once again click onto Windows Anytime Upgrade, and select the option to enter the key that you purchased. It will take 10 minutes or so to "unlock" your features, and download any necessary updates.

This is how I upgraded my OEM install of 7 Home Premium to 7 Professional (64 bit), for $89 US Dollars. I don't know the price to upgrade from Home Basic to Home Premium, but it shouldn't be more than my upgrade was.

I hope that my post has been of some use to you, and has explained your options.

Best of Luck,
Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yes they stripped a lot of goodies from Basic, you might consider a Windows anytime upgrade to Home Premium.

Or as you mentioned, there is software to show photos as the desktop background but I don't know the product names, only remember the idea of it in some articles I read, including an HP which ships with the software installed from the factory to get around that very limitation - I believe it may have been a netbook.

You might try the manufacturers website of your computer to see if they have any downloadable software to do the trick.

Ask a Question