SOLVED No sound at all, new computer build

Reaction score
I just finished last night installing my hardware on my new computer,

Cpu:
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core

Memory:

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500)

Graphics:
Evga 560 GTX ti
with newest Nvidia drivers from their site, installed last night

Motherboard:
ASRock H61M-VS LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
With all driver packages from the ASRock site,
http://www.asrock.com/MB/download.asp?Model=H61M-VS&o=Win764

Harddrive:
250 gig WesternDigital

Win 7 x64 ultimate

Power:
750 Antec

No speakers, headphones only. My front jacks are disabled, not hooked up. I have no sound card but my older bro told me I could
use the motherboard's on-board sound. I get like beeps in my tower but no sound plays at all.

My aim is to get my headphones as the primary playing device.

Please help thank you.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum 88ppcx!

I noticed you're using a VIA sound driver on the motherboard. Do you have headphones plugged in? The beeps you're hearing are probably coming from an on-board motherboard speaker.

Have you checked the "Sound" section of the Control Panel and see if the VIA setup shows in there? If not, right-click in the window and choose "Show disabled devices" and you may see it then. If so, then check the box to enable and you should be good to go.

Reaction score
Ok well i downloaded a driver pack from VIA from the info I got from my mobo and what sound drivers it uses.

I went into my audio taskbar and saw that I now have a headphones option but only for the front jack.

i made a note in my image.

Things are looking better but i still need help please

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Have you tried the rear jack to see what results show up? It may be that the rear jack is showing up since you don't have the front jack plugged into the motherboard.

I quit using VIA chipsets years ago as I feel that Realtek offers the best there is regarding audio on-board chipsets. So I'm not that familiar with the quirks of the VIA drivers.

Keep us posted though and we'll keep plugging away on it. :)

Reaction score
I've plugged my headphones into the front green jack and then the rear one. Both give nothing when I had a youtube song playing in my browser

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well your note on the picture says your front case connections are not even plugged in, so if you don't connect the case to the MOBO then of course you wouldn't get sound out of there.

I'm curious why you wouldn't want the front jacks wired up if you plan to use headphones it's a lot easier than reaching around back. Wiring up your case properly in a custom build is usually something you do before installing all the other components that will get in the way.

Go to Control Panel \ Device Drivers and locate Sound, Video and game controllers. Is your sound controller listed? Any Yellow warning signs that the driver is not loaded or functioning? If necessary go to View and check "show hidden devices". If it is there, from properties, try to enable or to search for newer driver.

Reaction score
The Via one is listed
I just updated the drivers for it

Nothing with yellow markers by them

I'm thinking it might be worth opening up my tower and hooking up the top jacks?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well I would have hooked that up anyway before I closed the case but you need to make sure your board isn't bad too.

You are sure your headphones are in the green jack not the pink microphone jack?

I suspect you are missing some driver. If it's not the actual sound then maybe a bridge or controller of some sort.

I do not encourage this for everyone because it sometimes gives wrong suggestions which can lock up your machine but when used carefully it can be a valuable driver aid ... Download and install Device Doctor (be sure to uncheck the toolbar so that extra junk doesn't install). Now this is important to save you time in case it creates any issues: Run it, if it finds anything then create a restore point first, then allow it to download and install ONE driver. Do a shut down and reboot. start over creating another restore point and downloading ONE driver, reboot and repeat till there are no more drivers. IF after any install the computer fails to boot then restart in recovery mode and choose the last restore point to restore; skip that driver that caused issues and continue down the list.

Reaction score
wanted to let yall know i fixed it
bought a usb to stereo jack and plugged my headphones into that and viola it works.

had trouble with my dvd drive, was failing so i bought a new one and now that works too.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
bought a usb to stereo jack and plugged my headphones into that and viola it works.
That is often a good work-around if you have an old machine and the audio jacks stop working but on a new motherboard I would send it back if the built-in jacks don't work.

Reaction score
You said your front jacks are disabled, how are they disabled?

Did you disable through system BIOS and/or VIA Control Panel?

I've had issues before and had to disable front panel jack detection to get sound in the rear. I'm not saying this is your issue but it was a Realtek Control Panel option that helped me one.

Ask a Question