No Network Connection

Reaction score
Yesterday I updated to v. 2.2 Of Sun Virtualbox and have lost my connection to the Internet on Windows 7. The 'VirtualBox Host -Only Network Status' reports "limited or no connectivity". This is because "the Network did not assign a Network Address to the Computer". I have not been able to solve this problem, the icon in the sys. tray has a yellow marker against it.
I have normal connectivity on Windows XP.
I cannot wind back using System Restore as there are no restore points. I do have a drive image of my C;\ drive dated just prior to the update, would this work?. Is there an easier way?.

Ad

Advertisements

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
This is just a shot in the dark, but you could try changing the network adapter in the VirtualBox settings tab and see if that helps. I'm using the Intel PRO / 1000 MT Desktop (NAT) with my config, but you could try some other adapter configs.

Reaction score
thanks, this seems a good tip but I cured the problem by using my Acronis Drive image to roll back 24 hours, this worked perfectly and I am now back to v.2.14.

I did notice one big difference between the two installations of Virtual Box, in the older version (at least on my computer0 it does not create a specific Network Connection for 'virtualbox' but on the 2.2 update it does and this was what was causing all of my problems, I now only have my normal LAN Connection which is used by Windows XP. It seems to work for Windows 7 as well.

You have been very supportive so thanks again.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
No problem jaycup, that's a sure fire way of resolving the problem :D Acronis has saved me a few times, it's a fantastic bit of software.

I'm still running the older version of VirtualBox, but after your experience I will hold off upgrading to 2.2 for now.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Acronis is a 'marvel' and I use version 11 which is very stable.

I think you are wise not to update VB the online Forum is full of the same complaint as I had and VB have said they are aware of the problem but cannot fix immediately.

Having now gone back to v.2.14 I now get constantly nagged to update again.

" Deja Vu" (all over again as they say!)

Ask a Question