New Uk scam

Ross

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Thanks for the 'heads up'.. :)

Have you heard or been on the end of the bogus Microsoft phone call? I've received several of these which start out as a phone call with the caller saying they are from Microsoft and my computer has been sending them error messages concerning a virus!
The caller goes on to describe how this malware can be removed by downloading some software which can be accessed by paying a fee. So not only do they get your cash but your card number too...

I did try and report the site in question but the law isn't to clear or interested enough to do something about it seems.

Reaction score
Every so often the news runs a public interest article about how 100.s of people a year still get caught up in internet scams. I don't think there are 'new' scams in the literal sense, just scams.
Over here (not in my area) we get people coming door to door offering budget services which either never get done or are extremely poor quality for the prices charged.

I have twice been approached by a 'man in van' supposedly offering liquidation stock of electrical stuff, most often stereos and TV surround sound systems.

I get about 2 emails a day, offering me millions of dollars from some deceased estate or for having 'been selected' by Microsoft for a prize.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
This kind of crap has been going on for years, especially the money scams, usually from a deceased estate in Africa, or a MS lottery scam. I had a Yahoo email account that I had to drop after using it for over six years, on account of the spam issues. What the real problem was, the scams were being placed into my mail folder, and not the spam. Or the other way around. The account was totally out of control, although I always (and still do) report spam.

In the past, as recent as last year, I've received bogus scam calls, looking for donations to charities that simply doesn't exist. I've looked them up, and not a trace of the charity can be found. That's why I don't donate money over the phone, they may make it look as though it's for the families of the police or firefighters, but many times, it's not. One dead giveaway that they're bogus, is that they want it now, and not after they send brochures, in fact one said that he was out of them, the donations were so high. I asked him back,"if your donations are so high, then why the hell won't you take no for an answer from me?" He hung up.

The internet is loaded with crooks, and they use the phone, too. It's mainly as simple as this, if it looks (or sounds) too good to be true, that's because it is. Even if it looks or sounds legit, always check out the source first.

Cat

Last edited:

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
That's why when I give to Charties, I try to give local and to the known, reputable ones. And as Cat stated, if in doubt, look the Charity up online or make some calls to your local City Hall or Police if you think they may be scammers. You don't even need to own a computer to get scammed these days, if in doubt don't donate.

Reaction score
Guys, have I asked you about this really noble charity I'm running,,,,,,,,,,

Ask a Question