SOLVED FBI LockOut Computer Scam

Reaction score
I got this message today saying the FBI has locked my computer and I need to pay $200, I knew I did nothing wrong, and called a friend who had this happen last week. I was told to shut down, than log on hit F8 go into Safe Mode, and do a system restore which solved the problem, but now I am wondering why it happened and is it still in my computer somewhere? Here is a link telling about this if anyone has never seen this before
http://guides.yoosecurity.com/how-r...that-blocked-pc-asks-for-payment-100-dollars/

I am not that knowledged on malware/adware whatever, I have McAffee for an anti virus. What else can I do to prevent this from happening? I have also noticed I am getting annoying pop ups appearing, ( I never get them, and now all of a sudden they are appearing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Sandie

Reaction score
This thing is going around Facebook. I have a distant relative that said he accidentally click an ad to the right and received the same message. As far as I'm aware you are safe as long as you ignore the message. Following through with the links and allowing those responsible for the false message access to your machine will infect your PC.

Reaction score
Th thing was, when the screen showed up saying FBI lock out I couldn't do anything, it just froze. I had to shut down. Than I tried to get back online but when I put in my password the same FBI screen came on, that is why I did the safe mode thing and did a system restore. It just seems to be that the virus or whatever it was ma still be there unless the system restore got it out, I went back as far as Oct 9th. Sandie

Reaction score
Follow the Freeware Database link in my signature. There you will see a few online virus scanners. Try one or maybe two of the online scanners and see if anything comes up.

Try scanning in safe mode, just to be on the safe side.

Ask a Question