SOLVED New PayPal scam email

Reaction score
I believ there's a new email scam going around. I just recieved a email supposably from PayPal through Windows Live Mail/Hotmail stating my web browser need's to be updated. I don't think so, IE9, FF 4.0.1 and Opera 11.11 are all updated. Flash Player was updated yesterday. Java was updated today and all FF addons are up to date. SecuniaPSI agrees with me on this also.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I'm a PayPal customer myself, and didn't get a similar notice. I use the service on average, 3 to 5 times per month.

There's always those who are looking for a fast buck, even resorting to ripping people off. Never respond to such emails, or click onto provided links. If PayPal, or any banking related service has a issue with a customer, they usually handle things by regular mail, not email.

Too, you can logon to PayPal through your browser, not the links provided in the scam email, if you have any important messages, they'll be displayed for you on the site itself.

Cat

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
It is becoming a problem, without a solution.
We had a report in out local paper only yeterday, of a reader who had received what looked like a "scam"Email, from an organisation of which he knew nothing. It claimed he had won a garden tractor in a draw. He took the risk of responding, and, to his astonishment, he had indeed won the tractor.
I suspect that he had, in one of his social events, put his name up for a draw or similar, and had totally forgotten it!

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't have a PayPal account. Granted I've purchased some software that runs through PayPal, but I've never created a account. I've always just clicked the link to pay without PayPal. Anyway, it's obviously a scam and I deleted the email. To double check I scanned for malware in Safe Mode and with a few bootable disks. Everything came up clean. I have notice WLM/Hotmail have been getting more spam the last couple of month's. If you block the sender in WLM, you still recieve email from that address. If you go to Live Hotmail and use the Sweep option and check block all future emails from sender they still repeatably show up. My other 2 accounts you tell once to block it and it's history.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
What does this have to do with PayPal scam emails? This would be more noticeable to all as a new topic.

Cat

Reaction score
Well the bogus PayPal email came from my Hotmail account through Windows Live Mail 2011. Is it making sense now. The Sweep>Block all emails from doesn't work on the Live Hotmail website the way it should. Also in Windows Live Mail 2011 there's obviously a bug in the Junk Mail > Block from sender/Block Sender's domain. Both those 2 bugs, could be how this bogus email got to me. MSE 2.0 doesn't touch emails or Live Messenger.

Reaction score
I received a similar email which says my credit card need to be updated and my profile as well. At first glance, I know it was a scam. Checked my account by typing paypal in the browser and there's no message alert of that sort.

Reaction score
Rule is ANYTHING you do online that involves money you only ever do through the providers site. Never through any links you may receive in your mail.

Ask a Question