my notebook suddenly becomes slow and unresponsive but normal CPU usage and memory

Reaction score
my notebook computer turned very slow two days ago. I've been trying everything i know to try to fix it but to no avail. I've defragmented and used the error-checking on my two hard drives, done a full scan with avast - antivirus, i've tried in safe mode, downloaded malwarebytes and scanned, used the disk cleanup, downloaded HD Tune and run a test, i've increased the virtual memory above recommended levels, but still only helped to some degree. and CPU usage is normal and, even though it's using a lot more ram memory than my previous notebook on win XP, it is still using the same amount as before the computer got slow. I don't know what else i can do so i'm turning to others for assistance.
first i thought it had something to do with google chrome, and i actually found out that i had two flash plugins installed but after disabling the standalone chrome flash the computer was still slow.
I consider the notebook fairly new since i bought it about 5 months ago. so i don't think has anything to do with age.

Reaction score
first i thought it had something to do with google chrome, and i actually found out that i had two flash plugins installed but after disabling the standalone chrome flash the computer was still slow.
For clarification is the PC slow off-line as well as on-line?

From the sound of it you are basing PC slowness from browser performance. If you only have issues inside a browser, that narrows the possible problems down a bit.

Reaction score
well, before i started to to try to find the problem the computer was slow offline too. it took forever to go through folders, and it was impossible to use vlc media player. but after i did all the above mentioned stuff it is now much better, although not as fast as normal.
but all the browsers are still acting slow or just unresponsive..

Reaction score
the hard drive is about 470 GB all in all. C is about 80GB and D is about 390GB. both have 60%+ free space. I have defraged them several times..

Reaction score
I also have done every thing I can think of like .defragged,run all kinds of scans,even bought a new fix it software,but to no avail.All the services are running at star up,this could make it slow a\can't it? Please can someone type me a list of services that is suppost to run and then I can stop some of them from running. PLEASE HELP ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
.All the services are running at star up,this could make it slow a\can't it? Please can someone type me a list of services that is suppost to run and then I can stop some of them from running. PLEASE HELP ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Running all the services at startup can slow the booting process and increase RAM usage
For service configuratins,go to
http://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-7-service-configurations/
Be sure to read it carefully,as disabling the wrong service can be a headache

Last edited:
Reaction score
Try This: go to start, Run and then type in msconfig. Next disable all the items in the startup tab

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
The issue sounds to me as if you may have insufficient RAM. The least expensive, most effective upgrade one may do is to increase the RAM on their system.

I have had several customers who complained about their systems being fast at first then slowed down. Most were using the minimum amount of RAM recommended for the version of Windows 7 they were using. (1 GB for X86 & 2 GB for X64.)

I doubled the amount of RAM for these folks and their systems again became fast and responsive.

What happens is that with more programs installed that the HDD takes over for insufficient RAM, thereby slowing the system down quite a bit.

Ask a Question