My music library folder has gone nuts!I had all my songs in correct albums folders. M

Reaction score
I had all my songs in correct albums folders.
My singles were in a folder entitled my singles.

I was having problems with duplictes in WMP and so I deleted the songs from it and then re added them.

When I went back to my music folder it was all over the place:

A) songs were out of there album folders

B)songs were not only in there album folders but they were ramndomly scattered around in the my music main folder.

I tried to manually put the songs back into there folders but it JUST WONT WOTK songs will simply just double up (in album folder and also my music folder)

I have searched high and low on the web for a sollution which I simply cant find, please can someone tell me WHY I AM NOT ALLOWED ORGANISE MY MUSIC FOLDER

and WHY WHERE THEY MOVED FROM THE FOLDERS IN THE FIRST PLACE?

Thanks for your help

Reaction score
Hi androl - Welcome to w7forums

I'm not absolutely certain but it sounds as if WMP is set to automatically rearrange your files. You may want to turn this feature off or learn how WMP does this.

To turn this feature off click:
  • Organize
  • Options
  • Library
  • look to the bottom half of the Library Tab

Reaction score
Might I suggest Winamp to use instead? It's really good for finding songs immediately as after indexing a folder, you can type the name of the artist or song and results will show up immediately.

I'm very much into music and media, and it's the only audio app I've been using since Windows 98SE:

http://www.winamp.com

Sorry I couldn't help with WMP as I don't use that at all.

Reaction score
The problem is not with WMP (I resolved that issue)

The problem is with the MY Music Library folder. - you know the one that is on every windows?

I have always kept this folder neat and tidy and I cant have it any other way.
Do you understand my problem?

Reaction score
Yep, I understand. The only application that could possibly be doing that is WMP.

I figure if you don't use WMP, it won't happen.

If you use Winamp, you'll eventually find that you'll never have any reason to even look in your music folder besides possibly to add new music to it.

If you insist on trying to use WMP still, I suggest to also go in the options then privacy tab. Uncheck the box to "Update music files by retrieving media info from the internet" and the hit ok to save. See if that helps at all.

Reaction score
androl I know you are trying to organize your media folder.

If you don't tell WMP not to organize your media folder, you will find your files in different locations other than where you want them unless you learn what WMP uses to organize your folders.

WMP organizes your music in folders based on the information stored within the musics tag. If you don't do what TorrentG suggest by turning off "Update music files by retrieving media info from the internet", you will find that you cannot edit the tag information without WMP changing the information to match an online database. The only way to organize your music folder to your liking is to control WMP tag information or turn off the automatic features of WMP.

If WMP is not the problem then there is another application at fault that you have not told us about.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, none of the above were alble to solve my problem eventually i solved it myself and it was so easy:

Go to Libaries > My music and on the column on the left hand side right click on my music and go to properties and in properties there is an option that says restore to default and just click that!

Hey presto

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
Thank you androl for coming back and posting the solution.

I hope everyone does the same. It would help a lot.

Ask a Question