music playing in internet explorer

Reaction score
Hello, now when i start internet explorer in 7 it starts playing music and adverts and other annoying crap but i carnt figure out how to get rid of it besides turning the volume down.Ive done a virus scan and spyware scan but its found nothing, help on this matter greatly appreciated:confused:

Reaction score
Have you tried a scan with Malwarebytes anti malware?

Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on Download_mbam-setup.exe to install the application. (If using Windows Vista, be sure to "Run As Administrator")
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
  • MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
  • On the Scanner tab:
    • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
    • Then click on the Scan button.
  • The next screen will ask you to select the drives to scan. Leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
  • Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart your computer. (see Note below)
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts. Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

See how things run after that....

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
This does sound like a spyware infection, which anti-spyware software have you used? Also, where abouts do the adverts appear and do you have any toolbars installed?

edit: Cookieman beat me to it, but follow when he says - he knows his stuff :D

Reaction score
He sure does ian,thanks cookieman done what you suggested and it seems like its sorted, no more music and chat randomly interfearing whilst im browsing, dont no where it was coming from only that it must have attached itself to internet explorer because it didn,t start untill i opened the browser but it wouldnt stop either when i closed it, anyway thanks again

Reaction score
Hi case, glad to hear it resolved your problem, welcome to the Windows 7 forum :D

Reaction score
You can avoid these problems in the future by switching to Firefox and installing the NoScript plugin.

Reaction score
firefox was giving me problems when enlarging pics on ebay with a pop up window even with pop up blocker on so ive fallen out with it for now, might return when i recieve the 7 release proper.

Reaction score
  1. From the Internet Explorer menu, click Tools | Internet Options.
  2. Click the Programs tab.
  3. Click Manage add-ons.
  4. Click the Add-on you wish to disable, then click the Disable radio button. Note that this option will only be available when an Add-on is selected.
  5. Not all Add-ons in the list are active. To see which Add-ons are actively loaded with Internet Explorer, toggle the Show dropdown to view Add-ons currently loaded in Internet Explorer.
  6. Click OK to exit the Manage Add-ons menu
  7. Click OK to exit the Internet Options menu
  8. If a necessary add-on has been mistakenly disabled, repeat steps 1-3 above, highlight the disabled add-on, then click the Enable radio button.
  9. Close Internet Explorer and restart it for changes to take effect.

Ask a Question