SOLVED MSE nagging issue

Reaction score
I have MSE set to scan every week. However MSE starts nagging me about scanning within the day after the last scan.

If anyone knows how to stop this nagging, I would be honored. If not I will be left with un-installing MSE. I went for years without protection, I can do it again. I cannot and will not put up with a nagging program of any sorts.

MSE_issue.jpg

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Like yourself, I went for a longggg time without using antivirus. After being bombarded with suggestions from forums and friends, I relented. However, the quantity, intensity, and seriousness of invasion has risen completely since then, and now I do try and keep the rubbish out. With the introduction, more recently, of better and better rootkits, however, Antivirus programs are almost beginning to fight a losing battle.
However, having got that of my chest - lol.

Cliff. I always manually scan, when I feel the need but. I'll put MSE on Auto and see what happens. If you don't get any suggestions in this thread, I'll post back how it worked for me.

Reaction score
Just so I'm clear, it's not really nagging. It's the status of the MSE icon color. It changes orange instead of green. When I see the orange icon, I automatically start to panic until I see its just a "You have not scanned in awhile". Yeah right, I scanned just yesterday.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Ah. Ok Cliff. Mine does that when I am installing definition updates etc. I am confident with the behaviour (!) and ignore it. It may mean that, just for that period of time, your computer is not fully protected.
I did a quick google. The "official" Microsoft answers were not too informative (from contributing MVPs) This page had the best description.
http://www.wmcomputercare.com/mse_tips

Reaction score
I had this problem, I found it happened every time I ran CC Cleaner latest Version I went back to previous version and no longer have the problem

Reaction score
I had this problem, I found it happened every time I ran CC Cleaner latest Version I went back to previous version and no longer have the problem
Ahh so this is a CCleaner issue instead.
Interesting!!
I do run CCleaner quite often. I never simply empty recycle bin anymore.

Reaction score
lol, I never empty my Recycle Bin either! Right now, it's over 14.5 GB. Anyway, back to the topic. You have MSE to do a quick scan @ 2AM. Is your computer even on @ 2AM??? That's what causes the problem. Unless the computer is on to the selected quick scan time, MSE will not scan your computer, therefore giving you the "You havn't scanned in XXX days" message.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Think CC meant he used CCleaner to scrub the recycle bin, like I do, not just "empty it". :)

Reaction score
I used to power down my PC every night. However the folding@home project has lead me to keeping my PC on. My CPU and GPU has been running at 100% 24/7 since last Nov. My CPU has been working around the clock for even longer.

I don't use Recycle Bin for storage. If I delete something, chances are very high that I don't want it on my PC. The sole purpose of Recycle Bin is to give users a way to recover from deletion. Anytime you find the need to recover from deletion, it is always easiest if there are few files to search through. It is my opinion that keeping things in Recycle Bin is poor maintenance skills. If you need the files, place them elsewhere and use Recycle Bin for what it was designed for.

CCleaner is an excellent way to keep your PC clean of files that are not needed. Not only does CCleaner empty Recycle Bin, there are many other areas of the PC that is cleaned as well. It just so happens the newest version seems to have a slight side effect with Microsoft Security Essentials.

Now that I know whats going on, it doesn't bother me as much. At least now I know it is something that I did to trigger MSE's status change. Since MSE is not the issue I'm marking the thread solved. :)

Reaction score
Oh yes, Folding @ Home. I do the exact same thing, but except on my computer, I leave my PS3 on. I apparently does it faster than any computer, so I'll just do it on my PS3.

Reaction score
Oh yes, Folding @ Home. I do the exact same thing, but except on my computer, I leave my PS3 on. I apparently does it faster than any computer, so I'll just do it on my PS3.
A PS3 may finish a work unit faster only because the work unit is smaller and requires less steps to complete.

yodap now has an Intel Sandy Bridge 2600K, a 4-core 8 thread CPU and the work units take up to two days to complete. I'm fairly confident when I say it would take a PS3 nearly a month to complete the same work.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Damn, since when did W7 forums get a folding@home team? I've definitely been gone too long.... :D

Clifford is correct though, folding projects are quite different for different platforms... ya can't compare PS3 projects to CPU projects to GPU projects... even projects designed for the same platform can be substantially different in size, such as advmethods and bigadv units designed for 4-8 core systems.

Ask a Question