SOLVED MS Outlook 10 runs slow

DRH

Reaction score
I am using Outlook Express 10 in my Windows 7 laptop but when I either open it or send a message it wants to process 11 folders before the program loads and when I send an email it takes at least 30 seconds before it's sent. I don't use any other feature other than send and receive emails. Is there a way I can speed up this program?

Reaction score
Microsoft did away with Outlook Express in January 2007, when Windows Vista came out. Vista had Windows Mail, which Microsoft later replaced with Windows Live Mail, which is part of Windows Live Essentials. It also has Live Messenger, Live Writer (blogging), Live Photo Gallery, Live Movie Maker and Live Family Safety (for controlling what children cant/can't do). Here's the link for it. http://explore.live.com/windows-live-essentials?os=other

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Correct Outlook Express 6 isn't supposed to run at all on W7, what is Outlook Express 10 ?

DRH

Reaction score
My mistake about the program

The program is Microsoft Proffesional Plus Office which includes Microsoft Outlook. When I open outlook, a message say's it processing 11 folders then when the program opens it thats sometimes up to several minutes before the emails appear. When I check the receive/send status it shows a window that say's it's synchronizing folders that takes maybe a minute or two to process. Any way to eliminate the folders that I don't use or need such as calender, jounral etc?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
OK, Outlook is still supported, only Outlook Express is no longer supported.

DRH

Reaction score
I'm just a novice

Thanks for responding.

I have a list of folders under my email name, then there is the same list under the name of Outlook Data file and another under archive and another under the name of outlook. The first is the one all my emails come into. I guess when the program is loading it processing all the folders so can I delete them or can I just hide them so they are not loaded?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
All of your Outlook files should be in %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook & %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook.

Anything not in there you should likely be able to remove, though I would suggest instead that you copy them to another location first so if it is a problem you can restore them.

DRH

Reaction score
I could not find the file %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook & %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook . I did a search but nothing came up so I looked in other locations but no luck. Where would this file be located?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It's not a file, that is a folder and files would be under it. Open Windows Explorer and paste %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook into the path. Then to see the other folder paste %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook into the path.

DRH

Reaction score
I pasted %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook & %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook in windows explorer but a window came up and said it could not find it.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Microsoft sent me a free copy of Office 2010 but I have never installed it so at this point I use 2007 and hopefully someone else can help you better.

If you are talking about 11 folders that you created in Outlook then yes you can delete any of them you don't need but if they are folders that correspond to online folders then they will likely be recreated.

I suspect your issue may simply be too much mail. It has to log on to your hotmail/google/POP mail accounts and retrieve your mail each time. What might speed things up is if you set it to download your mail and delete it from the server, that way what is stored out there is smaller so there is less work. I do this with my POP mail.

I do not use outlook for hotmail/google/IMAP account so I don't know the settings but if you can't set it to pull down and delete from online then maybe you can set it to only pull your INBOX. Then if you create folders online and move old mail out of your INBOX so it is very clean (Personally I keep a max of 10 items in any one INBOX) then it is very quick.

Less mail, less time synchronizing.

DRH

Reaction score
Is Outlook 2007 compatible with Windows 7 and can it be downloaded free?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Office & Outlook 2007 are compatible but not free. What Microsoft provides for free in place of the old Outlook Express is Windows Live Mail as brkkab mentioned above.

Outlook 2010 is definitely compatible, I believe it is a matter of getting your settings correct and minimizing the amount of mail that must sync.

Reaction score
I have the same problem. I think this happens because outlook 2010 is a "raw" =)

Ask a Question